Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Earthquake Awareness

chadbishop Guest
    wow. i thought i was the only one who read max brooks' books and had bug out bags. i suggest reading cody lundins books too, especially "when all hell breaks loose". as far as the research i posted, i didnt think it was proven, just interesting. ill go ahead and fess up since it seems other folks are talking about it, but in my house we are prepared for a zombie war. so i guess earthquakes will be a pretty easy thing to take on. we might need a "postapocalyptic preparedness" section of the forums now.

i dont want the other part of my post to die though. does anyone know of any physical features of the new madrid that could be made into an earth cache. i see alot of other states that have slews of earth caches, we are the natural state. we should outdo all of them. i think we should have earthcache planning groups.

i feel the solanum kicking in. ill talk to you guys tomoo...BRAAAAAAAAAAAINSSSS

Yea perhaps this requires it's own thread, but I couldn't resist a plug for Zombie Squad! Plus they have some of the best info I think on the web regarding preparedness for any disaster.

To answer your question, you may contact someone at UALR about the trench and earthquake info. That may be a start for you at least.

Team_Pink Guest
    Here is a contact:

Erica Doerr
    Geologist
    Arkansas Geological Survey
    3815 West Roosevelt Road
    Little Rock, AR 72204
    Direct Line: (501) 683-0126

Tell her Mike Pinkston told you to check with her.

Geezer_Veazey Guest
    Perhaps an oxbow lake formed when the river changed course from the earthquake. There should be before and after maps at the library, if not online.

chadbishop Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer_Veazey
    Perhaps an oxbow lake formed when the river changed course from the earthquake. There should be before and after maps at the library, if not online.
    thats a great idea. i do know the reelfoot lake in tn was formed from the 1812 earthquake. ill look into it. thanks for the idea.

I think it's Lake Chicot is the only one I can think of in AR, but it is on the Mississippi and is just natural river movement I think. Here is a link that may help you out a tad more. http://www.arkansasstateparks.com/image ... -21-02.pdf

Do a search on the page for "quake" and you'll find that Benjamin Crowley was giving some land for his service in the 1812 war, but when he checked out the land it had "sunk" from the earthquake at that time and became part of the St. Francis FloodPlane.

Good Luck!

Geezer_Veazey Guest
    Here is an excerpt from a USGS paper:
    Lake St. Francis, in eastern Arkansas, which was formed by subsidence, is 64 kilometers long by 1 kilometer wide. Coal and sand were ejected from fissures in the swamp land adjacent to the St. Francis River, and the water level is reported to have risen there by 8 to 9 meters.
    The entire paper can be found here:
    http://earthquake.usgs.gov/regional/.../1811-1812.php