Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Conway Bomb Squad makes another find

Conway Bomb Squad makes another find

The Conway Bomb Squad's robot has another find. This time they exploded an ammo can that was clearly marked as a "Geocache" The fire chief said that anyone could have labeled a bomb with a sticker.

They are now requesting that geocachers use "clear" containers for caches. Although the chief also said if they find one they will probably still "explode" it just in case. I went out last night and replaced ammo cans that are in public places with clear containers. I'd suggest that other Conway cachers do the same.

The chief of police has sent me his number and said he'd arrange a meeting with the fire/bomb squad so we could work out a "middle ground"

Q Guest
    I don't understand the urgency? Why can't they check with the property owner? Why can't they look at the geocache website? If it is there it MIGHT not be dangerous.... but I 'spose a sneaky bomber could look there also. Phone number on the container maybe?

Wow, sounds like the Conway Bomb Squad must be a little slow. I didn't realize that Conway was such an evil, violent place that would neccesitate the need for a "bomb squad". In fact I'm not sure I have ever heard of a bomb being detonated anywhere in the Natural State. Unless it was an ammo can blown up by a "bomb squad".
    I don't mean to undervalue our law enforcement people. They do an admirable and sometimes thankless job. This doesn't sound like trained law enforcement personnel. This just sounds like a bunch of wannabe's with nothing better to do than go to our website and "accidently find" something to blow up in the name of public safety. That's just my two cents worth.
    Guess what?! I got a fever, and the only prescription...is more cowbell!!

I think they are being extremely cautious. Makes me feel secure that if we ever do have a bomb in Conway that these guys will know how to deal with it. The reporter at the Log Cabin was able to find it on the website, even though it was a mystery cache and the coordinates weren't listed.

When I meet with the bomb squad chief I plan to give him my phone number and encourage him to call me whenever they have any suspicious packages to see if I can be of any assistance.

I talked to a Conway PD officer about this over Christmas, and anytime they have a suspicious package they have a set protocol they have to follow and that is where the Bomb Squad comes in. They have a rash of some stupid people who like to take firecrackers wrap them with duct tape and see how big of a bang they can get. They have been leaving them in peoples yards, and in various places around town. That is the problem as I understand it.

When you have your meeting with CPD and CFD would be willing to setup a GC account and they would be notified of new caches and they could know where the current caches are. Education of the PD and FD will maybe help this situation, if I can assist you with your meeting please let me know. I have talked to The PD and Sheriffs offices when I place caches and I don't have a problem doing so.

I think that they are being unreasonable about the Clear Containers. Do Geocaches in much larger towns do not have to be clear?
    I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world.
    Thomas A. Edison

Re: Conway Bomb Squad makes another find

Quote Originally Posted by BSA534
    ...they exploded an ammo can that was clearly marked as a "Geocache".
    The "solution" that was offered last time was to have each cache clearly labeled. Apparently, that is no longer sufficient. One thing is certain: the Conway authorities can't say geocachers were not compliant with their instructions.

They are now requesting that geocachers use "clear" containers for caches. Although the chief also said if they find one they will probably still "explode" it just in case.
    I don't understand the point of requesting that caches be put in clear containers if the end result would be explosion anyway. If a clear container would avoid that happening, then I can see some benefit, both to the PD and to the geocacher...

The chief of police has sent me his number and said he'd arrange a meeting with the fire/bomb squad so we could work out a "middle ground"
    I fully support the work that the Conway PD and bomb squad does every day in trying to keep the community safe. I can't speak for anyone else, but I enthusiastically join with the chief in looking for a compromise. I assume most cachers would be willing and anxious for this as well.

Wayne
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

Dentful1 Guest
    This all sounds like a bunch of Iraqi War vets that formed a Bomb Squad. They realized that they need to blow up stuff to satisfy their urges and decided to pick on cache containers. I recommend they go back to Iraq where the real danger is, cause I know it ain't in Arkansas. No terrorist would dare mess with Arkansas, where guns out number the population by 100-1.

Here's today's article on the incident from the Conway newspaper. From the article, the cache was not "blown up". A high-velocity water cannon, mounted on a robot, was used to open the ammo box up. The article contains a photo of the ammo box and contents, and it is pretty impressive what the water cannon did to that ammo box!

I'll be interested to see what comes out of Tim's meeting with the police chief.

Quote Originally Posted by Dentful1
    This all sounds like a bunch of Iraqi War vets that formed a Bomb Squad. They realized that they need to blow up stuff to satisfy their urges and decided to pick on cache containers. I recommend they go back to Iraq where the real danger is, cause I know it ain't in Arkansas. No terrorist would dare mess with Arkansas, where guns out number the population by 100-1.
    This is also an uncalled for slam at our veterans. Our soldiers are all volunteers and professionals, who are underpaid for their service to their country. We owe them our respect, not our ridicule. Perhaps you've watched too many movies. Regarding the number of guns in Arkansas, Oklahoma has a lot of guns too. But that didn't stop a terrorist named Timoty McVeigh.
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen

ButterflyDiver Guest
    WOW!! I can't believe that they have blown up another one! They must have to justify the $$$$ that they spent on the robot.

Just today, I bought several clear lock & lock containers to use as caches in Maumelle. Had planned to use camo tape, but I guess that now I should just leave them clear. In addition, I will notify the Maumelle Police Dept, Maumelle Fire Dept. & the Maumelle Parks & Rec Dept and hope that will be sufficient.

I just hope that North Little Rock does not decide to start blowing them up. There would not be many caches left in Burns Park!

I just hope that North Little Rock does not decide to start blowing them up. There would not be many caches left in Burns Park!
    If NLR starts blowing up all the caches in Burns Park, there won't be much Burns Park left!
    I agree that there needs to be some middle ground reached, but after one or two of these things, I don't agree that a lack of education is the problem.
    I have several friends who are Arkansas State Troopers, and a nephew who is a Houston Texas police officer. I have the utmost respect for professional law enforcement officials.
    I also know a guy that I fired for STEALING from the store that I managed, who is now a badge and gun totin' Garland County Sheriff's Deputy. There are bad apples in every group.
    It sounds to me that someone is going overboard trying to get some headlines or make a name for himself.
    This can was in place for five months before it was imploded. That doesn't make me feel any safer knowing that it took them five months to sniff out this "bomb".
    One last thing. I spent the day after Christmas with flannelman and his kids running around Conway finding these cans, and we had a wonderful time. I spent about fifty dollars on food and snacks that day, and twenty five on gasoline. All of this was spent in Conway. BSA and CPdenton have done a wonderful job in getting caches out there, to go along with the others that were there. Until the Conway BS lightens up a little, and someone gets smarter than a fifth grader, I will be spending my money elswhere. Maybe BSA could start hiding these cans outside of town and I'll just fill up in Perryville.
    I don't know why this riles me up so. I suppose it is just the injustice of it. I think if they really wanted to work with us, they wouldn't tell him to put it in a clear container, so they can BLOW IT UP ANYWAY! I guess that this could happen to anyone of us, so maybe that is why it peeves me so.
    Tim, I hope your meeting is productive and maybe you can hammer out something that can be used as a model for future considerations. Please keep us posted.
    May your cache rest in pieces.
    Guess what?! I got a fever, and the only prescription...is more cowbell!!