Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Conway Bomb Squad makes another find

ShadowCachers Guest
    it was on THV. I saw it and came to the site

We have a meeting planned and should have it in the next few days. We need to work with the authorities so that we can do what it takes to keep geocaching in Conway. I hope we can put something together that will work for the authorities as well as the geocaching community.

Bottom line: It doesn't need to be Us vs. Them, but we need to be willing to work together.

I'll keep everyone informed of what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by BSA534
    Bottom line: It doesn't need to be Us vs. Them, but we need to be willing to work together.
    Thanks for the update Tim. If you would like some company at the meeting just email me the time and location and I will try to be there to help in any way I can. Thanks for your efforts on this issue. I would really hate to see geocaching stopped in Conway just as it is starting to grow again.

Wow....I just don't know what to say. I would think they still could have had one of the people looking it up in google earth KML, pulling the cache page up and seeing when it was last found, what it looks like, and the owner. I'm unsure why the robot just didn't open it? Would it have made a difference of weather it was opened with high pressure water or a robotic hand? I also wonder if they have a k9 dog trained to sniff explosives?

I went ahead and e-mailed the fire and police chief, mayor and parks department my above idea on using google earth to see what is in the suspicious area while the crew is en route. I also told them that if they were following protocol, they are unfairly targeting geocaching. That this same thing could have happened to a suspicious piece of trash on the side of the road (like a ice chest or tote that blew out of a truck), a suspicious car, or even a suspicious parcel left on the steps of a house. Heck, I've seen suspicious containers in peoples trash on trash pickup day!

I mentioned that they should tell the press that this was a very useful and great exercise for their crew and that geocaching is not to blame. If someone called in something else, the exact same protocol would have been followed and someones car, mail, or trash could have been "tested". This will prevent them telling the world that "geocaches are ok to put bombs in b/c we won't look" and it will make sure those people will put it in something else.

This happening a third time.....I just thought that some common sense would have kicked in or that they should not have made such a big deal about it and viewed it as a training exercise. I also don't think clear containers is the BEST approach. If they see a suspicious trinket or if it has camo tape, they'll still blow it up. Education and a modification to protocol is the best tool. It was mentioned to put a phone number on the outside, that could be a great compromise so the ammo cans can continue to be used. Half the fun of geocaching is getting to see the unique containers and camo.

I'll be paying attention to this thread and the news and see what comes of it. BSA keep us posted as to what happens.

My first thought was "well Goober and Gomer blew up an ammo can." After giving it some more thought, I realize that those guys have a tough and sometimes no win job. Compromise and discussion are certainly more in line with the philosophy of geocaching. As an educator, I hope this turns out as an example of a situation worked out by calm discussion and agreeable to all sides.

CFDchief Guest
    Hello to everyone. First let me clear up a misconception, the bomb squad is an arm of the fire department. The police are there to help us with traffic and bystanders so they do not deserve any fall out. I nor anyone else involved have any intention of stopping geocaching in Conway. As a matter of fact I would like to give it a try myself it sounds like a great way to get out and be active. The members of the squad are trained to the federal level, they are experienced and very serious about their job.Their job is about safety for everyone and there are federal guidelines they must follow. Geocachers are not the problem, the problem is due to people out there who really do make bombs and have cost citizens,police and firefighters their lives, thus the guidelines and protocols. We have a meeting scheduled for tomorrow morning and with everyones input we will come up with a plan that will work so geocaching can continue. Like I said, if someone is willing to take me along I would like to give it a try. Thanks for your time.

KingBishop3 Guest
    YOUSE guys (as they say in Jersey, no, I am not from there, know better than I do, as I am new at this, how many ammo cans are out there. Of my dozen finds, at least two were of that type. Even though I took training to look for suspicious objects, it never crossed my mind that it might be considered a bomb threat. If they found it near a bridge, that would raise questions. Were I an anarchist, and was smart enough to come up with the idea, it would be the perfect cover.

Like I said, if someone is willing to take me along I would like to give it a try.
    O.K. Since I have been a pretty vocal critic here, why don't we let that be me. I would love to have the opportunity to show you what we do.
    I am so very encouraged by your willingness to work with us and to try to see our point of view.
    I can admit when I am wrong. I've gotten pretty good at it over the years. Hopefully I will have to say I was wrong here.
    This is a great start.
    Thank you!
    Guess what?! I got a fever, and the only prescription...is more cowbell!!

Howlingmoon Guest
    Thank you for registering and giving us some info on the situation, CFD Chief! I know I, and maybe of the other cachers around here are grateful for your effort.

CFDchief Guest
    O.K. Quartzcachers my# 450-6143 M-F. Ask for Bart. Thanks