Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: County Challenge

County Challenge

I've always wanted to know how many geocaches there are in each county in Arkansas. I made a list of the Johnson County caches a long time ago and have kept it up to date. All my begging and pleading to date has had no effect on anyone in any of the other counties because there was no easy way to do this.

Now, however, I'm issuing a challenge to all you cachers in other counties and you have no more excuses. The latest version of GSAK now has a county option. All you have to do is: (1) download the newest version (7.5.0.18, (2) Open View, Add/Delete Columns, Scroll down to the bottom and put a check in County, (3) Open Load and put y in the County box and save. That's it. Every time you open a pocket query, it will show the county. (4) You now need to do a pocket query (or more than one) big enough to include every portion of your county...even the outlying areas. Johnson County took two queries. (5) Load it into GSAK. Click on the heading of the county column to sort it by county and count the caches in your county.

Post the answer here....just for fun.

Johnson County has 412 active caches out of a total of 602 caches that have been placed in Johnson County since June 18, 2003, when Horsehead Spillway Overlook, was placed by nonnipoppy.

How many caches are in your county?

Thanks,
    mbl

First of all, there are 207 active caches in Benton County.

Secondly, for those of you really into crunching numbers, 11 PQs will get you all of the active caches in AR. Then, there is a macro that will list the number of caches by county.

FYI, there are at least 2 active caches in every AR county.

This new feature of GSAK is great. Thanks for pointing it out to me.

Currently there are 288 active caches in White County. It's going to be interesting to see the numbers from all over the state.

OK I have updated my version of GSAK, added the County column, done my pocket queries, but nothing is displayed in the county column. What am I missing?

On the "Load GPX/LOC/ZIP" screen, you need to enter "y" in the "county update" field.

Also, rather than counting the number of caches, go to "Set filter" and on the "Other" tab, enter your county in the "County" field to filter for those counties and let GSAk do the counting for you.

I actually got it to work! There are 37 active geocaches in Scott County.

I show 136 in Faulkner County and the county I grew up in, Little River has a grand total of 16.

Great new feature! Now if would just generate a state map with counties colored in...

The macro to do that is called "MapCounties". However, it hasn't yet been updated to be compatible with GSAK 7.5 and uses the userdata2 field for the county data.

All Right, I got it to work this time. There are currently 257 active caches in Pope County out of 383 hidden since Kings Bluff Cache GC3257 on January 12, 2002 by Clay and Linda.

There are currently 24 active caches in Newton County and 29 in Madison County. That needs to change since some of the best scenery in the state is found in those counties.