Thread: Moving Caches

Moving Caches

I remembered reading somewhere about moving or traveling caches. Were they actually a cache type? I was also wondering if anyone had found one and what they thought of them.

There is a moving cache down in Austin Texas where my sister lives that I have been watching for several years now. It's called The Rock that Rolls. It is listed as a mystery cache. I wanted to find it while I was down there last summer but someone decided to take it on a trip to a MEGA event in England that week. I think these are a neat idea for a large city like that. I don't see any mention of this type in the cache placement guidelines on GC.com but I think I read somewhere once that they were no longer allowed and the ones that are still active were grandfathered in.

Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking
    There is a moving cache down in Austin Texas where my sister lives that I have been watching for several years now. It's called The Rock that Rolls. It is listed as a mystery cache. I wanted to find it while I was down there last summer but someone decided to take it on a trip to a MEGA event in England that week. I think these are a neat idea for a large city like that. I don't see any mention of this type in the cache placement guidelines on GC.com but I think I read somewhere once that they were no longer allowed and the ones that are still active were grandfathered in.
    You're exactly right. Those that were still active when the guidelines were changed a few years ago were grandfathered in. I think was at about the same time virtuals stopped being listed.

This cache type IS allowed as a terracache.

HikerRon Guest
    I've found 2 moving caches that i can remember.
    1- 'front range moving target' was a cache i found twice in 2 different locations
    2- ' pikes peak traveler' was a micro whose mission was to move up and down the Barr Trail..which climbs 12+ miles up to the summit of Pikes Peak .
    i was lucky and found it while it was at the bottom

Front range moving target was originally designated to stay along the Front RAnge of mountains between Ft Collin, Co and Pueblo, CO...but last i heard someone took it to New Jersey

the idea was to find 'em, move 'em, and post the latest coords in your log.