Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Blowing Cave Bonus Cache

Blowing Cave Bonus Cache

During the Conway meet and greet I was talking to "TN Girl on the Hunt" and she is from Bristol, TN and is here in Arkansas until Dec. 14th. She was telling me that she would really like to give this one a try.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...a-64c8a1f293e2

It is a 5/5 and I don't think it is for the weak of heart. I have not made up my mind if I want to try this one, may have to go on a diet to fit thru some of the spots. If we get a group together I will tag along, just hope I don't freak out

If you are interested post and I will get in touch with you.
    I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world.
    Thomas A. Edison

I've been watching that cache for a long time. If you get a group together to go I would love to tag along if I can. Let me know.

BTW. Mike, if I get scared, will you hold my hand?

Wow, that looks like a crazy cache! I never thought of geocaching as an extreme sport, but that cache does. I won't be able to go with you on this trip, but hopefully I can hit it sometime in the future. If you do decide to go, bring a camera and take lots of pictures. Gift cards in there as a FTF seemed like a great reward considering the work you had to do. I look forward to hearing your trip report if you go!

Dentful1 Guest
    I always like the physical challenge caches. I have been wanting to do this one as well, just waiting on a group to do it with. I will have to see what dates you are planning before I commit.

HikerRon Guest
    I would certainly like to tag along on this trip. i would probably have to turn around at the first tight spot....too big around the middle. but i could go for help if need be

i had the opportunity ONCE to do some wild caving in colorado. i wont name the cave as it is on private property and is still being explored and surveyed.
    fortunately i was invited to join in on a work-day at the cave, and was guided in, step by step by members of the local professional cave-rescue team. so i was in good hands. what i learned:

-take 3 sources of light.
    -dont take real cameras in a cave, it is too hazardous to the camera. take some disposable cameras instead.
    -wear hard clothing, such as jeans, carhartt, etc. the clothing takes a lot of abuse.
    - bring an extra set of clothes to put on when you are done.
    -hard hat is a good idea too. i went to home depot and bought one for $7
    -also, knees pads are the best idea of all.
    - and i learned to put all the gear you take into the cave in a drawstring bag, preferably waterproof, and push it ahead of you as you go.

there it is. ALL i know about caving

Dentful1 Guest
    I think whoever stays at the mouth of the cave can have a big ole' bon fire built for the spelunkers to get warm and dry as they come out. I believe cave water temps stay around 54*F year round in cold water caves and up to 70*F in warm water caves. You may want to check on that. The air temp outside will be cold, it is late NOVEMBER !! I will still do it with those temps if the date is right.

Quote Originally Posted by HikerRon
    I would certainly like to tag along on this trip. i would probably have to turn around at the first tight spot....too big around the middle. but i could go for help if need be

i had the opportunity ONCE to do some wild caving in colorado. i wont name the cave as it is on private property and is still being explored and surveyed.
    fortunately i was invited to join in on a work-day at the cave, and was guided in, step by step by members of the local professional cave-rescue team. so i was in good hands. what i learned:

-take 3 sources of light.
    -dont take real cameras in a cave, it is too hazardous to the camera. take some disposable cameras instead.
    -wear hard clothing, such as jeans, carhartt, etc. the clothing takes a lot of abuse.
    - bring an extra set of clothes to put on when you are done.
    -hard hat is a good idea too. i went to home depot and bought one for $7
    -also, knees pads are the best idea of all.
    - and i learned to put all the gear you take into the cave in a drawstring bag, preferably waterproof, and push it ahead of you as you go.

there it is. ALL i know about caving
    ...and lard. In case I get stuck.

After a discussion with Majii I think that this one would need to be attacked in a warmer part of the year. 54 degree water is a little to cold for me right now, I don't think that water is much warmer than that although it sounds quite refreshing on a hot summer day. Along with that:
    EONavigators wrote
    BTW. Mike, if I get scared, will you hold my hand?
    Holding hands is one thing, but I don't want to cuddle with you to stay warm.
    Yes, I would like to do this one. Just I think I have enough smarts not to get hypothermia and have to resort to sharing body heat with EON.
    I suggest that we wait until warmer weather and a little more time to plan the expedition. I have sent a e-mail to "TN Girl on the Hunt" telling her that I would not be participating in this freeze fest in December.
    I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world.
    Thomas A. Edison

Dentful1 Guest
    I agree Hick and I will be waiting for the dates this upcoming summer.

After thinking about the posts I read here yesterday, I agree that this should be done in warmer weather. Count me in on this excursion! I am with Hiker Ron though, I may have to be the fire master due to too many deer camp biscuits and gravy!
    Guess what?! I got a fever, and the only prescription...is more cowbell!!