Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wireless Internet Help needed.

DEEZER Guest
    This may not be available in your area, but we just got a really cool service from AT&T. It's called U-verse. It's like cable internet, but it comes from the phone company. We get 200 tv channels, high speed fiber optic internet, and unlimited local & long distance on our home phone for $119 a month. There was no equipment to buy and no contract to sign. The cable comes into the house & goes to a wireless router called a gateway which they provided. Everything runs from that gateway. It includes a DVR and we pay $5/month for a second DVR hookup. They even threw in a USB wireless receiver that plugs into our desktop computer because our computer is not located next to where they wanted to put the gateway. We bought a laptop, and with a little help from Geezer_Veazey we got a wireless network set up. Now if we want internet access on the go, we will still have to rely on hotspots, but I guess we'll cross that bridge when we get there. We had a little bit of trouble with the service freezing up at first, but they've been back out a couple of times to do some trouble shooting and everything seems to be working great now. You might want to check & see if it's available where you live. I think it's a pretty good deal.

jclaudi, interesting,, what other apparatus to you have to get to let the alltel air card go wireless to other computers in your home?? Would be interested in that maybe??
    The people at alltel just told me that it would work on just one computer at a time??

On a XP machine go to Start > Control Panel (classic view) > Network Connections > right click your LAN or High speed connection and choose properties > Then chose the Advanced tab at the top >

here you will see the firewall settings and the "Internet connection Sharing" settings. You can check the two boxes and other computers on your network can use this computers internet (through a wired or wireless network). You can click the learn more about link to read up on it some.

Basically you connect to the internet like normal with your air card, do the above setting change to allow other network users to connect through this computers internet connection, and then try using the internet on another computer. You may have to change the default gateway for the router to be the computer your currently on. That setting is different with every router on the market though and will have to addressed when you set it up.

The next I have the air card from work, I'll go through all the trouble and give it a try.

OK, cool, thanks for that info, never knew that could be done, but then again I do good to turn one of these things on
    Glad to know that...

Thanks

Have I ever said how much I love geocaching? It's not just the hunt for those hidden containers that makes me love it so much, its the PEOPLE. Thanks to everyone for their input and after being contacted by a cacher who has now sold me their router after letting me see if I could get it to work and it did.

I was able to connect to the internet with it with a new laptop we bought and almost forgot about our Wii that is now connected to the internet too.

I think I am going to continue to use my DSL while using my desktop as the gateway while being able to connect with our laptops while at home and then just look for hotspots while traveling.

Thanks again to the wonderful world of geocaching!

paris1time
    Paris, Arkansas

Glad you got things going and we didn't confuse the issue too much
    I know sometimes that happens, I have asked some questions before over on a shooting board in the past and I got so many different answers, I didn't know which way to go..

You will love that wireless for sure, we do.

After seeing stickerdudes iphone this weekend, sure makes my mouth water for one of those.....
    I guess I could start picking up more aluminum cans to buy one

Well, to help your search for hotspots, and since you already have a gps, download a program called netstumbler. It was originally created for wardriving (people who drive around neighborhoods looking for free wifi). Netstumbler will record the strength, lot & lat, and if it's an open or encrypted connection while you drive. I've used it a few times on my treks from home to work and you'll be amazed at all the wifi you'll pass along the way.

Glad you got er going without much trouble. Now the question is, is your wireless network secure?

I assume by you asking if my wireless is secure I guess you mean does it take a password to connect and the answer is yes.

The router is a Netgear N wireless router. When I was doing the setup it would get to a part where it said it would "Restart the Network". Each and every time I tried it there would be a message that said it could not find a connection. I then would click on a web browser and no internet. I would restart my computer and would again have internet.

I could not get to the step to do the security in setup so I was looking at the documentation on the CD and found the MAC address and entered it and WOOT I was into the router and changed the password.

I then pulled out my daughters Christmas present (don't tell) and it showed the network and when I clicked to connect it asked for a password.