Thread: Happy Halloween! What was your scariest find?

Happy Halloween! What was your scariest find?

It's Halloween! Time for witches and spooks, goblins and demons, skeletons and devils, monsters and things that go bump in the night! Share with us the scariest cache you ever found (or looked for)! And enjoy Halloween! But be safe!

My scariest find: OKC-ON IV / The Tomb (GCH2B5), found on 2/7/04. The cache was a night cache and the container was a small wooden coffin, filled with toy bats, spiders, lizards, and snakes! Although the cache is in the greater OKC area, it is actually outside the developed area in some spooky woods. The fact that I found it near midnight on a bitterly cold winter evening probably added to the experience of this cache. My log:
    I was visiting OKC for the weekend and just had to do at least one night cache. So I bid my wife farewell last night at 11 PM and took off from the hotel, in hot pursuit of The Tomb. I don't know OKC very well, but I was able to get to the parking area, with only one missed turn, in about 30 minutes. Soon, I was on the trail under the full moon, and by 11:37 PM, I had my find! What a neat box! Cache was in good shape. T - a bat & a rat; L - Monsters, Inc. key ring. I didn't notice anything spooky about the woods until I was finishing up with the cache. Then I started hearing something moving (a small animal, I hope) and a owl started hooting. The hair on my neck stood up and I shivered, but not from the extremely cold night air. I quickly headed off, back in the direction that I hoped would lead me to my van. Needless to say, I was happy when I spotted the road again! Thanks for a great night cache! But don't do this one alone ... for you may not be alone! -- ORR
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen

relikborg Guest
    For me it was GCJHNH back in Kansas, the first time I went to find it with my friend cozmos something was messed up in my gps, but being a newbie i just followed the arrow which took me in the middle of a big corn field that was about waist high. So being in the middle of the field and mud all over my feet and legs, i searched for a little bit, till cozmos said maybe the coords were off cause the description said something about an old school, so we truged back to the cachemobile and read the full page, then checked the coords in the gps and saw the problem, fix them and crossed the street and found the school. As we walked towards the cache site we heard the sound of some large animal inside the school, keep in mind this was midnight and all i had on me was a minimag flashlight, so as quick as you can think we scrambled back to the cachemobile and drove back hom, and decided to go back another day.

scoutfrog Guest
    My scariest find was not a cache but what I found while doing maintenance on one of mine. It is callad "I'm not Lion, it's there" It is hidden under a newspaper stand in front of a Food Lion Food store. After a couple DNF and could not find logs I went to check on it. ( did I forget to say that this was last Halloween?) I nealed down, took a look, and then stuck my arm under and pulled the cache out, Complete with a BLACK WIDOW attached!! The cache (a slim pack/magnetic) then went flying across the parking lot and stuck to a soda machine. The cache is now behind the soda machine.

HikerRon Guest
    there was a cache in Colorado called 'Fear Factor'. multicache.
    1st WP was a fake snake.
    2nd WP was a fake rat in a pile of rocks.
    3rd WP was under a bridge with a bunch of fake spiders hanging down.
    Final was a fake wasp nest, or so i though until i poked it with my hiking stick not fake at all!

A cache in Conway county last weekend gave me my biggest scare I had had in a while, there was a long snake skin shed right at the cache and I didn't see it until I reached for the container, I think I jumped back 20ft. sure glad it wasn't a real snake, still, gave me a jolt..