Thread: Goog 411

Goog 411

I was wondering if anyone else was using GOOG 411. It is a toll free number (1-800-GOOG-411 or 1-800-4664-411) that you can call to get information.

It works like this. You call the GOOG 411 number. It will then ask you for the city and state you want your information. It will then ask you to give it the name of what you are looking for or give it a category (i.e. pizza). It will then give you a list of matches. It will then either connect you or allow you to get more details.

The call is free, except your cell phone minutes are used if on a mobile phone.

There were a couple of times it did not "connect" me. The call just ended. Now I get the details (address and phone number) when given the option and call the number directly if I get disconnected.

I think this could be a great tool on any trip caching or otherwise.

Anyone else using it? Any known problems?

I've been using this for a few months. I liked it so much, I put it on speed dial!

Wayne
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

Dentful1 Guest
    I used "google" in a text message when we flew back to California. We were late for our next flight and as we landed I text google the flight number and the gate info and time of departure came up.

Neat service if you are really in a bind. I wouldn't recommend all that trouble if you just need some quick info.

I've been using it for a few months as well. I liked it so much I replaced my ATT's phones default 411 to the goog 411 number. The only time it don't work for me is if I am not in a quiet place (ex. on interstate in topless jeep) since it uses voice commands. I like how you can say "text" and it will send you your listing as a text message. This is handy if your looking for an address.

I've just got to get all my other family plan phones and program goog 411 in them!

Great service for free!

I figured it was some type of automation, but there is actually a room full of people on PCs looking up the answers and responding. I heard on a podcast someone sent in a request asking how much the guys got paid and they responded with something like 20 cents per answer.

Too bad it won't recognize "geocaching" as a category... When I said "geocaching", it thought I said "10 caching"???

Wayne
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

My daughter has used the text to google several times and I have even used it a couple of times, once when we were in CO, it gives you back a list of what you asked about, didnt know about the goog number, will have to try that also, isnt this stuff great!!
    Thanks for the heads up ..
    Now if I could only google a gc number and it would tell me where the cache in hidden. hmmm that would be great. Someone needs to work on that

hmm... I've never used the text google service. I checked it out at http://www.google.com/intl/en_us/mobile ... index.html and I like it. I have unlimited text messaging, but not unlimited minutes so this may be a better way to get addresses and phone numbers.

Thanks for the text google service info.