Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with technology

sa georiders Guest

Help with technology

Ok as I posted previosly I've been out of geocaching for a few years and now we are getting back into it. We are excited enough that I went and bought a brand new Montana 650 last month. Well here the problem. I have no idea how to use it what software I need how to download caches wirelessly etc. So I really wish there was a class put on for people new to geocaching or those that have new equipment. Getting one line responses on how to operate a gps is not getting it. So. I would be happy to get a meeting set up if I could find some volunteers to "coach" newbies. If that won't work I am wondering if I can meet with someone in little rock who can give me instruction on this smarter then me device. Any help will work. Please let me know. Right now I have a $600 piece of equipment that has only been taken out and charged. Uggghh. Thanks

Ashallond Guest
    All i have are various varieties of the etrex type. I can teach a few of those, but nothing much higher than a vista.

You know, I bet someone with an Garmin Oregon 450 could help you tremendously. I bet there isn't a whole lot of difference and there are several cachers around the LR that have those. Personally, I've got a 60CSx and probably all I'd do is confuse us both - if I tried to help!!! When you do figure it all out - give us another post as to how you like it and its accuracy. Thanks

DaTexanBoy Guest
    I have the Oregon 550t and I would be happy to help. It took me a little to get used to it, but once I did, I've been able to get quicker downloading to it.

Firmware on these is not unlike that of the new 62 series, so someone with one of those machines likely could assist. If you head to southern Colorado, I'll help out. ??

That unit should be like the 62 series, you should still have to download caches to it from GSAK, at least that is the easiest. The wireless feature is between units, like if I have a waypoint or cache in my unit and you don't, you can download that cache to your unit from mine, but it is one cache at a time. You can download 1000 caches to the unit via cable and GSAK in about 20 seconds. Otherwise the unit from what I have seen works just like an Oregon, we have one of those also, touch screen, they work great, I see the Montana is a lot larger with a larger screen, would help my feeble eyes.

Out of curiosity, cfd29, do you prefer the 62 or the Oregon. Thinking about a new one, myself.

I love my oregon.

Ron, I prefer the 62s myself, but I have used a 60 for a long time and the buttons on the 62 are all in the same place, I like the way the 62 scrolls between the screens, much faster for me to use.. Deb uses the Oregon and she likes it, (but she never used the 60) as far as accuracy both seem to be about the same, guess I like to push buttons better than the screen, but both work great..

Hey cfd29, does the 62 support loading of 3rd party maps like our old 60CS and even Colorado's 400's?

Your welcome to try it out and see, it was a great way to get topo maps for our old device, but with our 60cs it could be a tad slow to "route up" when moving because of the level of detail it had to process on the screen when zoomed in. The Colorado has no problem as of now.

You should be able to load it and even select it on or off if it still has which maps to use.
    http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/137/

The instructions to load maps are:
    http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorial...rmin-gps-unit/
    Assuming it still uses mapsource.

This could be a easy way to turn your 62s into a 62st