Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help Needed for Geocaching Program at Jacksonville Library

Help Needed for Geocaching Program at Jacksonville Library

ArkGeo Members and Website Users:

We received the email listed below requesting that someone put together a program on geocaching for the library in Jacksonville.
    To Whom It May Concern,

Nixon Library is a participant in your geocaching efforts in the state. We have something in our shelves that members come to locate. I am planning programs for Mystery Month in October and think Geocaching really fits that theme. I wondered if you could either create a scavenger hunt in the area near the library for us to hand out to the community or if you could present a program in the library in October to explain what geocaching is all about. I want to make it fun and informative for the participants. Time is tight for me to get a certain date and program decided. This Monday, I have to turn in to the CALS headquarters the programs I will have in October. So I hope you possibly may read this today Saturday. I’m here at the library till 5:30 if you want to call 982-5533. Otherwise, just e-mail me your reply.

Also I wanted to make you aware that we will be moving into a new library building at year’s end so the coordinates for locating the item we have will need to be adjusted at that time. We’ll need to stay in touch. Thanks!

Kathy Seymour
    Branch Manager

Esther D. Nixon Library
    Central Arkansas Library System

308 W. Main St.
    Jacksonville, AR 72076
    I spoke with Ms. Seymour, the library manager, this afternoon and she said she was looking for a program of about 1 hour duration, with maybe a discussion of geocaching first, followed by a hunt for a cache placed on the grounds for the program. She selected a date of Oct. 18 for the program to be held, to start at 10:30 AM (when the library opens) or 11 AM. However, I think this might be flexible and could be adjusted to a different date or time if needed.

If there is someone interested in taking this on, please contact me by email ASAP at [email:2tnx3li8]oldriverrunner@hotmail.com[/email:2tnx3li8] and I will provide you with Ms. Seymour's email address. As noted in her email, she needs to turn something in by the end of business (5 PM) on this coming Monday, August 25. So time is short. She checks her work email from home over the weekend, so I think that you will be able to work out the details with her before Monday.

I told her that there were many active geocachers in the Jacksonville area, so let's show her what Arkansas geocachers are all about! If the Events or Community Relations Committees want to take this on as a project, that would be great, too!

Frank / ORR
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen

ShadowCachers Guest

I can help

I'm not sure if I could take this on myself but I would be willing to help with everything. I have only been caching since Feb. If someone little more knowledgeable could assist me that would be great.

gespurr Guest
    same here. I have that day off.. But I haven't been chaching long enough.
    WAIT.. My DH is the "GPS" guy at work.

I can ask him. (man, he really needs to register here!)

Hey, will these people already know about GPS units or will he have to tell them what they are too (that is when I talk to him and IF he volunteers).

gespurr Guest
    George doesn't feel confident enough to do it

What about Pat?

I think I will be out of town the 17th and 18th, or I'd be happy to do it. Perhaps woodwalker9 could talk calicomo into helping him with it. They came and did a presentation at my school while I was in class. I put together caches, they did the talking. I would be perfectly willing to help do this - in case I am indeed away.

Pat? Susan? Whomever?

My Scout troop will be planning our fall outings Monday night, so I won't know if there is something scheduled for that weekend until after the deadline. I'll try to keep it open, but sometimes I don't have a choice ;-(

Quote Originally Posted by topkitty98
    I think I will be out of town the 17th and 18th, or I'd be happy to do it.
    I am sure that the dates are negotiable. When I talked to the lady at the library, I asked her when in October. She said anytime. I told her that it might work better if she set a date. So she selected Oct. 18. However, it sounded to me like any Saturday in October would work. So if you can do it any Saturday in October other than the 18th, I encourage you to take it on. I'm sure that the library would agree to a date change before they send in the program plan. But they need to send in the program plan at the end of business tomorrow. So time is of the essence! Let me know if you are willing to do it any time other than the 18th.

Frank
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen

Okey dokey then how about October 11 ? Or October 25?

ShadowCachers Guest
    I can help either of those dates Topkitty. You pick the date and I will help if you need me too.

The 11th is out for me to help. I believe I can do any other weekend in October.