Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: What does your handle mean?

crowmountaingirl Guest
    My handle is pretty self-explanatory. My daughter (southerngirl) and her husband (jclaudii) got me into caching and after finding my first few I decided to break down and create an account.
    I have lived on Crow Mountain my whole life, so this one seemed fitting.

Flannelman was taken. Polyesterfleeceman just didn't sound cool.

Actually, it was my trail name before my geocaching handle. I still think of it more as a generic trailname, though I never was a thru-hiker. It originated as a gross mispronunciation of "Chris." My youngest brother called me something that sounded like "Kwitch" (pronounced with a very exaggerated drawl) when he was a baby. Mom & Dad got a laugh out of it and reminded us as teenagers, so my brother would use it from time to time to be silly. One day at deer camp he called to me, "Hold up, Kwitch!" But I didn't hear him correctly and I thought he said "Cooderwitch." I said, "What did you call me?! Cooderwitch?!" That was so funny to him he laughed until he cried, then somehow mangaged to convince the rest of the family that it was equally funny. Cooderwitch got shortened to Cooder over time. Sorta sounds dorky, like the backwoods car mechanic from Hazzard County, except spelled with a "d" instead of a "t." The "Captain" part was added by the same brother years later, sort of a derogatory connotation, like " Captain Crunch."

And now you know the shame of it all. I could have said it was an infamous pirate...

Hick, are you listening? How'd you get your handle? Surely not the obvious...

astrodav Guest
    AstroDav is a portmanteau of "Astronomy" (my lifelong hobby) & "David" (not sure what that means).

I once used Merc4Hire as an internet handle, since I did some mercenary work the year after I left the Army. A "Merc" is a soldier for hire, so the name was fitting. But when I had to give the soldier life up for good, I dropped that name.

And one of those useless tidbits I'm known for:

"Shall in these confines with a monarch's voice
    Cry Havoc, and let slip the Dogs of War"

Lots of people have read Julius Caesar, but most don't know that Antony was referring to mercenaries when he made this statement after the murder of Caesar.

Roman Legions were largely composed of mercenaries & Antony knew that the "Dogs of War" would soon be unleashed, to seek revenge for the dead Emporer.

TinmanJones Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by captaincooder
    Flannelman was taken. Polyesterfleeceman just didn't sound cool.

Actually, it was my trail name before my geocaching handle. I still think of it more as a generic trailname, though I never was a thru-hiker. It originated as a gross mispronunciation of "Chris." My youngest brother called me something that sounded like "Kwitch" (pronounced with a very exaggerated drawl) when he was a baby. Mom & Dad got a laugh out of it and reminded us as teenagers, so my brother would use it from time to time to be silly. One day at deer camp he called to me, "Hold up, Kwitch!" But I didn't hear him correctly and I thought he said "Cooderwitch." I said, "What did you call me?! Cooderwitch?!" That was so funny to him he laughed until he cried, then somehow mangaged to convince the rest of the family that it was equally funny. Cooderwitch got shortened to Cooder over time. Sorta sounds dorky, like the backwoods car mechanic from Hazzard County, except spelled with a "d" instead of a "t." The "Captain" part was added by the same brother years later, sort of a derogatory connotation, like " Captain Crunch."

And now you know the shame of it all. I could have said it was an infamous pirate...

Hick, are you listening? How'd you get your handle? Surely not the obvious...

Hey Kwitch, that's a great story!

What did you call me?!

BTW, Tinman Jones is a cool band name

grzz51 Guest
    If you had seen the shoes Hick had on at the state get-to-gether last year you'd understand

firechief1956 Guest
    firechief1956 = I am a firechief and I was born in 1956, thus firechief1956

Mine too is very simple. The Jff is my first middle and last name. The Ok is the state I am from. When I went on geocaching just to look around I plugged in several names and everything was taken. I only wanted to look around anyway so threw the initals in they worked. I did not realize at the time that I was creating my caching name. I would have given it more thought had I know. But it is easy to sign on the nano's, fast in the field, sought after on bingo at events and works for me. It is also fun because lots of people have mistakenly thought of me as a Jeff.
    This is a cool thread.

photojunky Guest
    Mine comes from being a photographer for years, now is just a hobby but I still love the art.
    My son, lordzodica made his up when he was little and his game character, now he has changed it to cliffmonkey. On one of our cache hunts a friend of ours saw where she thought a cache should be, looked at my son and told him to "get it monkey boy". He loved it, monkeyboy was taken so he settled for and now loves the cliffmonkey title.

HikerRon Guest
    Sort of unrelated to this topic, but i saw cacher's name once that i thought
    was cool.
    He called himself ' WASS Up?'