Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What does your handle mean?

gespurr Guest

What does your handle mean?

I was reading 2 emails from ShadowCachers (as I'm tracking a couple of his recent caches and he nabbed my TB ) and now.. I have that 70's Disco song "ShadowDancing" going through my head... and my twisted brain that it is is trying hard to slaughter the lyrics to fit ShadowCachers.

Anyway, this made me wonder what the meaning is behind some of our handles? Is there a story behind it?

Mine is pretty easy.. I'm Emily. My husband is George (hence the g and e). Our last name starts with Spurr.... Yup. Pretty cut and dry

~Em
    (and Nora too)

ShadowCachers Guest

ShadowCachers

Our handle use to be ryanandtamilehman. After finding 200 caches I came to the conclusion that our name was to personal and to long. Got writers cramp signing logs and try to fit ryanandtamilehman on a bison log.
    So I started brainstorming for a new name. Well we went caching at dark one night. My son Zach thought he saw a shadow while in a cemetery and I said the olny shadow you see is use sneaking in for the cache. So we became the ShadowCachers.

I started using the Username of SEARCYKID about 5 years ago when I tried to sign up with EBAY and had tried about 7 or 8 other log in names without success and finally tried the name SEARCY which also came back "already taken".
    I had just bought my first computer shortly before this and had been pestering one of my younger co-workers trying to learn all I could about this new fangled contraption when he finallly said, "Your are like a KID with a new toy."

So I was the searcy kid with a new toy, although I was 65 years old.

So I added the KID to SEARCY as a kind of joke and it was accepted. I've used the Username of SEARCYKID for most of my log ins ever since and have never gotten a "aleardy taken" notification.

This is an interesting thread, gespurr. I had wondered about your geoname as well. Mine is pretty simple. I live right smack dab in the middle of quartz country. The Coleman's of quartz mining fame are good friends of ours, and they actually have the quartz license plates. The day we went up on Ouachita Pinnacle in search of our first cache, we didn't know that there was a geo name thing to this, and we just signed the log Bruce and Denise from Jessieville. We wondered who these strange names, like flannelman and Old River Runner that were on the logbook belonged to, and we soon figured out that we should come up with our own name. I knew that I was hooked right then, so by the time we had come off the mountain and made it home, we had decided on something about the area we were from. At first we thought of crystalcachers, but thought that might have too much drug reference associated with it. So then we came up with QuartzCachers, and that's what we logged our first find with. That was last March and I had never even been on this newfangled internet thingy as of yet! We haven't looked back since, and I really like our name, especially when I go to sign a micro log and just put QC! Most everybody knows who that is by now, so I haven't had any trouble with it. Cache on!
    Guess what?! I got a fever, and the only prescription...is more cowbell!!

Howlingmoon Guest
    I've been Howlingmoon (Wolvespirit) since 2001, when I made a Wood Elf Druid in EverQuest I. I've loved Wolves for a long time, so I wanted a nickname that had Wolves all through it. It just kinda happened from there. Last year, I got my first tattoo which tis my nickname's initials, HW. hehe I would love to eventually get my middle name changed to Howlingmoon Wolvespirit.

scoutfrog Guest
    Mine is kind of simple too. When I switched internet providers the name I was using, Amphibian53, was taken. So I wnet back to my roots(all the way back to Magnet Cove High School 1985, and my nickname there"FROG") plus I'm an active scoutleader. So 6years later when I go to sign up I stuck with it.

BSA=Boy Scouts of America - 534 = The troop where I'm Scoutmaster.

I think mine speaks for itself although since I discovered geocaching I don't do near as much hiking as I used to.

First, a little geocaching.com history lesson for the new cachers.

Back when we signed up, in 2004, you could go to gc.com at any time and change your user name. Simply fill out an online form, hit submit, and your name change was propogated to all your past logs.

Then, sometime in 2006, geocaching had gotten much bigger and this was evidently causing too much of a load on groundspeak's servers. So, they announced a moratorium -- you have until xxx date (don't remember it for sure) to change your user name, if desired, then no more.

It wasn't until late last year, or earlier this year that they started allowing us to request a name change by emailing the fine folks at groundspeak.

Anyway, when we signed up, we had a cat called Kozmo. We finally settled on the name TeamKozmo, the name by which we still go at tc.com.

As the moratorium was approaching, we had gotten a new kitten. We didn't want him to feel left out, so we started brainstorming. Another factor was that around this time, the nano cache was appearing everywhere and the shorter we could make our name, the easier to sign those little things. Remember, initials only on nano caches. Eventually, we decided that we would go by TnT for Taz and Tweety, our favorite Bugs Bunny characters. Since TnT was taken (but never used), we filled out the online form and changed our name to *TnT*, adding the asterisks to basically get the name we wanted.

And there, as Paul Harvey would say is "The rest of the story"

Great thread by the way. Could make for some interesting reading.

GeoJeepers Guest
    You know, we were just sitting here talking about where some of these names came from, and BEHOLD here we can learn all about it! So now that we've learned a little we'll tell ours too. Of course, GeoJeepers doesn't take much imagination, Mrs GeoJeeper has a Liberty and I have an old CJ-7 money pit but the other part of the story is that a Jeep magazine is actaully where we first read about Geocaching and led us to find the State Quarters Cache in Riverside Park back in 2004. Of course in the article the plan was to use your Jeep vehicle to go to out of the way places and find treasures, and that's what we did the first 3 years of caching (finding a total of about 45 in 3 years). If it wasn't in the woods, we didn't look for it! Now we'll look anywhere! Our son is HondaCacher (he thinks about his Honda Civic all the time :P ) and our daughter is LilCacheMonkey because if you aren't keeping an eye on her she'll be in the middle of everything like a little monkey!.