Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: AR Game and Fish and AR Natural Heritage Commissions

LadyEngineer Guest
    I guess something did come from my conversations with Mrs. Moreland. I just didn't know it. I am writing a letter to the commissioners in the hope of being able to speak at one of their meetings, so that I can give a face to Arkansas cachers. I will let everyone know what I hear.

Ponca Elk Education Center
    http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...a-ef5fa4e6d41d

Rick Evans Grandview Prairie Education Center
    http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...0-e71e66888edc

Another new cache by the Commission:

Arkansas Game & Fish Commission Headquarters

Looks like they are recognizing the benefits of geocaching, at least...

Wayne
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

NatureFish Guest

Cache

Yes, they are recognizing the benefits, but they are also recognizing the risks. You will note that there is another cache just 330-something feet from this one.

It was placed without permission and came close to getting us in hot water.

They have graciously allowed me to keep that cache in place as long as I granted a variance for them to place theirs close to it, and extended their permission to keep it in place.

Thanks to their courtesy we won't lose a cache, but another placed on their land without permission could well cost us a lot of them.

We work hard to build relationships and trust, and a single cacher that doesn't care (or know) can jeapordize that. Spread the word about lands that require permission please!

Natural Heritage

I was considering a cache at the entrance of a Heritage site south of LRA. The spokesperson for the organization wrote a nice note. They have discussed caching and feel it inappropriate for areas they are trying to protect. Apparently this is for all their sites.

LadyEngineer Guest
    I have created an official letter from the association requesting an oppurtunity to speak at one of the commission meetings that they hold monthly in Little Rock. I will let everyone know if our request is granted and when.

LE

LadyEngineer Guest
    Naturefish,

I checked out the cache that you were refering to that was placed on AGFC property. That cache was placed by a cacher that has never found a cache and this was their first and only cache ever placed.

How as a group do we get the word out to new cachers that AGFC land is off limits? If they don't visit this forum or don't cache with an experience cacher or coming to gathering, they will never know.

Do you have a map that shows land that AGFC owns that you can check new caches against? I don't know but we might be able to come up with a spatial file with the info for you.

Any advise and guidance you could offer would be very welcomed.

releejr Guest
    Ok, I am offically spooked. I just recently lost my first Cashe site (I will note that the new owners of the land was kind enough to contact me and arrange to get my cache back to me), But I am frankly scared to rehide it. With so many "good", "public" places off-limits. Honestly I would have not thoght of many lands as belonging to WMA or AFGC, or that there would be a problem. Is there any way to find out who needs to be ask about X plot of undeveloped land???? Or am I the only guy that does not know where to find this stuff???

Anyway .. thanks for all the great info.

flannelman Guest
    You should be able to go to the county courthouse to see who owns a particular tract of land. I can't remember the exact office that deals with that but a quick glance at the phone book should get you off to a great start. I did this when I bought my property to see if the neighboring property was open to hunting or not (national forrest, etc.).

nonnipoppy Guest
    Arkansas Wildlife magazine is a bimonthly publication of AGFC. It always has great photos of Arkansas. The May/June edition has a wonderful photo of a dragonfly on the cover as well as an interesting article about them in the mag.

In addition it contains an article titled "21st Century Treasure Maps" sub titled "Geocaching Offers New Outdoor Opportunities". Written by Randy Zellers it does a good job explaining the game and features the Rick Evans and Bell Slough caches placed by AGFC. The article tells the coords and even prints the clues. The article quotes Alex Hinson, an AGFC regional education coordinator who seems to be an experienced cacher.

Obviously they have seen the advantage to having some caches, and may place others. Hooray for the game.....poppy

ARWindstalker Guest
    I read that article and rather enjoyed it. My grandpa is an avid fly-fisherman and has always loved the outdoors. He grew up in Winslow and also lived many years in Louisianna. The article has appeared to have inspired them to start the game. I can't wait to drag them out on the weekends!!