Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: AR Game and Fish and AR Natural Heritage Commissions

LadyEngineer Guest
    Finally!!

I have been granted permission to do a presentation at the AGFC meeting in September.

Wait! Stop! Please read this very carefully. The meeting room is extremely small and is usually cramped when just the commissioners are there, thus we have been ask to not bring a large crowd of people. I have talked to three of the four other committee members and we agree that we should honor the request of the AGFC and are only sending 3 people.

We are only allowed a 10 minute presentation (they normally only allow 7 but we were given premission by the chair for 10). At the moment I know for sure that Wayne and myself are going.

I do need help from those out there that take pictures. I need to put togehter a very thought out presentation that represents all that geocaching has to offer the AGFC while representing all whom geocache. I need quality (not quantity) pictures of CITO events, quality cache locations, young families, seniors, etc. I need pictures that really represent who we are. We want them to see that we're not harmful people without morals or respect for the environment, but that we want to work with them and that we're very willing to put forth an effort to make a partnership with them as we did with the Arkansas State Parks.

If you have some photos you can send me please email them to me using the "email" button at the bottom of this message or in my profile. Please include a description of who, what, where, when the picture was taken.

In another post, AR_Kayaker mention having a formal list of people that we represent. I think that is great idea. We have been trying very hard to figure a way to do that electronicly but have failed thus far. So for this meeting (since I'm under a huge crunch to get this together), if you would like to have your name listed as an official member being represented, please email and write in the message exactly that. Please include your name, geoname, address, phone and profession, so if they want to verify the info, they can. (I ask for the profession so I can show the diversity of the people that geocache.) Due to time I must receive your email by Sept 6. Any name after Sept 6 will not be include. I will compile the list and 1) list the names here and 2) present a copy of that list to the commissioners.

It has been two long years of emails and phone calls but we are at last getting a formal voice.

Pray that all goes well.

MaxCacher Guest
    Very Cool

Max

That's great that you finally get to do a presentation in front of the AGFC.

I've done quite a few from the St. Louis area, such as MO Park and Recreation assn., IL Park and Recreation Assn., St. Louis county park rangers, and facility and maintenance manages. All of this has been very productive and opened lots of doors for us, including 7-8 geocaching and GPS training classes each year.

In addition to the "normal" advantages of being outdoors, family fun, exercise, CITO, etc, remember to hit on the not so obvious advantages, such as extra eyes and ears, strange activity (meth labs), etc.

We've had the County park rangers ask us to place caches in "unopened" parks to get cachers in areas that are hard to patrol because of lack of roads or poor access. Other times the police actually stop us when they see a GPS to thank us for helping patrol the parks. Including a list of cities or areas that openly support caching, along with some contact names, always seems to help too.

I've got lots of pictures I could send you but I'd think you would want pictures of local parks and AR activities.

Good luck,

Rich (RGS)
    SLAGA-St. Louis

LE,
    That is fantastic. I know that it took a lot of hard work on yours and the other committee member's part for this to happen and I, for one, really appreciate it. It's comforting to know that in delicate negotiations such as these, we have such capable people in place to represent us.

I am emailing you my address and telephone number to be added to the list of AGA members who are being represented and offer my services in any capacity needed.

We wish you the best in September and thank you again for the great job that you and the committee are doing.

Pat/woodwalker

jcblough Guest
    Is there an update on this? I unwittingly placed a cache at bell slough this weekend only to discover via reviewer that it wasn't permitted - couldn't find info on any site about bell slough so I figured I was safe. Now I gotta go back and retrieve the dang thing. Don't know when I'll do that. I tried today and the whole area is FLOOOOODEDDDD. Luckily, the cache was hidden up out of the way.

The AG&FC was very receptive to us at that meeting, but no legislation has been adopted yet. Check this thread for the latest information on this issue.

Wayne
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

I just received this from Bob and Linda(Cachecrazies).

20.36 GEOCACHING RESTRICTIONS ON COMMISSION-OWNED PROPERTY.

It shall be unlawful to establish or maintain a geocache on any Commission-owned property without first obtaining a Commission issued Geocaching Permit and complying with the terms of permit or the following restrictions:

1. All persons applying for a Commission issued Geocaching Permit must be at least 16 years of age.

2. All Geocaching Permit applications must contain the following information provided by the applicant:

name, valid address, telephone number, email address, driver's license number, the exact GPS location provided by the Commission and any non-Commission website address on which the cache will be posted.

3. All permitted caches must be placed at the location designated by the Commission and must be clearly and permanently marked with the required permit number issued by the Commission.

4. All Geocaching Permit holders failing to renew their permit must notify the Commission in writing if their permit will not be renewed, remove the physical cache from Commission peroperty and remove the cache location from all non-Commission websites or other information source.

5. If a Geocaching Permit holder fails to comply with the terms and condition of the Commission issued Geocaching Permit; or if the permit holder fails to remove a physical cache upon expiration or non-renewal of a Geocaching Permit; or if the geocache has been determined by the Commission to have caused adverse environmental damage, poses a public safety hazard or has caused user group conflicts; the the Commission reserves the right to remove the cache without notice and cancel the Geocaching Permit.

6. Caches may not be buried nor may vegetation or stones be disturbed to place a cache without written approval of the Commission. The use of dead, downed debris to assist in concealing the cache is allowed. The cutting or destruction of living vegetation is prohibited.

7. Metal detectors may not be used in cache searches.

EXCEPTION:

(1) Establishment and maintenance of official geocache locations on Commission-owned property by Commission personnel is allowed without a permit.

PENALTY: $250.00 to $1,000.00

So are we talking Game and Fish Commission or Ar Natural Heritage Commission with this? I am so confused.

Beth, sorry I wasn't plain in my post. Below is the first email I got from Linda.

Linda's email:

Hi Pat -

At work yesterday we got our "official" update on the AGF policies. Included is the section on geocaching. The officer said that he would get me a copy of the permit but I haven't seen it yet.

I don't know if anyone already has a copy of the regulation or not - but I could email it to you if you don't have it yet.

Hope you are all well.

Linda

I responded that I didn't have a copy and she then sent the policy that I included on my previous post.

I hope that clears it up.

I think this policy is a good compromise. I understand the concerns that AGFC has expressed and it seems like those have all been addressed in this policy.

The best thing we can do now is to respect both the letter and the spirit of this policy. We can build trust with AGFC by demonstrating to them what the AR Parks system already knows: Arkansas geocachers are respectful and responsible folks.

Wayne
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile