Thread: Hiding Tips?

gespurr Guest

Hiding Tips?

I posted this tonight in geocaching.com and thought I'd get some local feedback:

Quote Originally Posted by I
    OK, so I want to start hiding! However, my dilemma.. I'm a shy wallflower that isn't too big on calling people. And so I hid one in a public park and my reviewer asks "Did you make sure you could hide it here?" :huh:

Uh.. C**P! um.. uh.. erm.

So, how do you gage when to contact the city about a cache, ask permission, just place one, etc etc. For those who have placed hundreds of caches, did you make hundreds of phone calls?

ie.. what if I just put one on a street sign? What if I put one under a city bench? When do you know to call someone? WHO would you call? Do you call someone every time?

Be honest w/ me here

One user there replied:
    Quote Originally Posted by Some other user
    Each area is different. Here its accepted that City Parks, Cemeteries, Public Wildlife lands are open game, but everything else is a call or permit. Local DNR requires permits, private lands require permission, as to commercial properties.

Sure there are those that willingly place a cache in commercial property, but its iffy.
    State parks like I said, here they require a permit.
    local landmarks are ok if they don't have buildings around them.

If you have local cachers, just ask them. Look around and email local cache owners. Simply ask them.

If you see a park, then email the cache owners there. They can tell you what they had to do.
    If they say "I just placed it" then email another cache owner in that park.

You will be surprised if you email local cachers.

And so, ahoy local cachers!

I feel that permission to place the cache is important and I even list who gave me permission in my notes to the reviewer that reviews our cache listings before the cache is published.

I think who you ask for permission is always going to vary from cache to cache with some exceptions.

For example, the Mayor of Paris has given me permission to place caches on any City of Paris owned property. I just let the police department know where the caches are hidden in case they get any calls.

I know others that have blanket permissions from those in control or custody of properties.

But of course when you place a cache in one cemetery and then go to place a cache in another cemetery you will probably have to do some research on who to contact for permission and those people may be different people.

It is always the best policy to get permission first. There is a misconception among some geocachers that "public" property means they can hide any cache wherever they want, without asking permission, because it is "public". However, with the recent issue we have with the Ouachita NF, it is clear that "public" property does NOT mean you can hide whatever you want, where ever you want, without the permission of those responsible for the caretaking of the "public" land. Other examples are the state parks, which require permits, and the lands under the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission, in which the geocache placement restrictions are very prohibitive.

Also, parking lots at shopping centers and large chain stores are often considered "public". But I have heard of a mall (in NWA) where the security folks chased some geocachers away and confiscated the geocache, because it was actually "private" property and permission had not been obtained first.

So care must be exercised. In most cases, permission is readily granted and often the property owners are enthusiastic about it. But you should take the time to get permission first.
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen

Quote Originally Posted by OldRiverRunner
    But I have heard of a mall (in NWA) where the security folks chased some geocachers away and confiscated the geocache, because it was actually "private" property and permission had not been obtained first.
    The mall in question has confiscated two caches that I know of and refuse to allow any to be placed on the property.

I usually try to find a place where I don't need permission, but whenever my reviewer asks, I will try and get them the information they need. For some places that need permission like NFS and State Parks, I will submit my cache listing along with a note to the reviewer about my permission or permits. I also usually give the review my contacts information just in case.

City parks are a big one I hear pop up from time to time. I would go ahead and ask permission for a city park, or ask the previous cache owner, because you would hate to see your cache on the nightly news because the bomb squad blew it up.

Cemeteries are probably hit and miss. I think it mainly depends on how you describe your hide and if the reviewer thinks it will pose a burden on the cemetery. Also, if your unsure of a particular area, you can usually ask us here and someone will have an idea of what to do or who to contact.

Good Luck in placing your first cache! Our first cache is still up and running and has been muggled 2 times. With each time the hiding spot gets harder and harder!

This debate has been ongoing since the early days of geocaching. Within the past couple of years, I have changed my mind about it a little bit.

Some cachers (including me) have made the mistake of assuming that if a parking lot (for example) is open to the public, that it is public property and therefore, permission is not needed. These days, I would say that this is not the correct assumption. In the real world, ALL property belongs to someone, including Wal-Mart parking lots, city parks, cemeteries, etc.

In addition, I've never heard a good reason to NOT get permission before placing a cache.

In some cases (such as here in Conway), the city parks director has given permission for caches to be placed in any park owned by the city, but the bottom line is that if you are ever in doubt, always seek permission.

Just my $0.02.

Wayne
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

ExtremeTrek Guest
    The policy for hiding caches in Arkansas State Parks is linked on this page along with the permit.

http://www.arkansasstateparks.com/thing ... eocaching/

Some cachers (including me) have made the mistake of assuming that if a parking lot (for example) is open to the public, that it is public property and therefore, permission is not needed. These days, I would say that this is not the correct assumption. In the real world, ALL property belongs to someone, including Wal-Mart parking lots, city parks, cemeteries, etc.

In addition, I've never heard a good reason to NOT get permission before placing a cache.
    Assuming that a parking lot is "public" is an incorrect assumption. All property no matter where it is located is under ownership, custody, or control by someone.

Businesses are private property that have given license and privilege for customers to enter their property and stores without asking. That same license and privilege is not extended at a Residence (You have to be invited in). Stores often ban (withdraw the license and privilege to enter) people from stores for bad behavior on the property (i.e. shoplifting).

Parks, forests, right of ways, are all "public" places but are managed or controlled by someone who has a legal right to manage the property.

My bottom line. No matter where a cache is placed there is someone, somewhere that needs to be asked permission to place a cache there.