Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A rather unexpected find!

gespurr Guest

A rather unexpected find!

Maybe Quartz or WW9 can help me with this one (or even say.. Oh yeah.. I remember this!). It might help me put another piece into this puzzle..

Anyway, my husband and I hit Searcy on Sunday. We got a late start, being a rainy sunday morning and all. We started out hitting a few along 67/167 (mostly Slaps since it was still misting) and then hit the red men pretty hard. Because of all the rain we couldn't get to many of the rural caches, but got most of them along Race from WalMart up to Berry Hill.

We had a GeoCoin to hide so we decided to try and find one of the new ones on Riverside Park. We didnt' find the one near where Hawkeye's was, so decided to go further into the park in search of another one.

We followed the road that goes down to the boat launch about halfway. On our way down, by the caboose, we spotted a family with some kids playing, along with a small dog. We didn't think much of it (why would we?) and kept on our search. We only had a few minutes to search before it was dinner time at the 'rents up the street

*added note.. my family is originally from the Searcy area and I was part-raised in Searcy. Chances are anyone who lives in Searcy knows at least ONE of my relatives*

George and I ran out of time, so we headed back up the hill towards the park exit. The family was gone, but the puppy remained. George and I started driving off and the puppy chased us. I could see she was YOUNG and there was just no way she could survive much longer in the park. And so, George stopped and grabbed her and handed her to me.

She can't be more than 12 weeks old and I have NO clue how long she'd been out there. The Humane Society down the road from the park hasn't received a single report of a lost puppy. I've had 3 relatives keep an eye out for missing puppy signs and they haven't found anything either. The local paper and the shopper say nothing.

And so, our only find in Riverside Park is currently bedding down in my garage. She is getting her shots tomorrow and we've named her NoraInu (which means Stray Dog in Japanese). We just call her Nora. Kathryn adores her and she's been a perfect fit! She's basically exactly what we wanted for a dog (just not *yet* as we don't have a fence yet) and has been VERY easily trained.

It just bothers me that someone would dump her! (Quartz or WW.. did either of you catch eye of her on Saturday around there?.. we found her RIGHT next to the caboose).

George was hesitant about keeping her, but she warmed up to him VERY quickly and hasn't left our sides since we picked her up on Sunday afternoon. She's looking MUCH more fit now and her coat is looking LOADS better. And so, she is our biggest find of the day. 30 caches.. 1 dog.

Wow! What a great looking dog. Was it an FTF????

Quartzcachers and myself did not make it to Riverside Park Saturday. We ran out of daylight before getting out there. Sorry that I can't be of more help.

It's sad that someone would intentionally dump a dog, but I know it happens everyday. I'm just glad that people like yourselves care enough to make sure that at least a few of them survive.

Thank you for coming to Searcy and thank you for your humane deed.

ShadowCachers Guest

WHAT A FIND!

Its very sad that someone would dump or leave such a beautiful dog. I've been caching sense Feburary and have stumbled accross two dogs while out caching. I just cant leave them behind. Me and my family found homes for both dogs. I wish I could rescue all stray dogs and I'm happy you guys provided it with a home. Thats really a FTF worth keeping

gespurr Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodwalker9
    I'm home frequently (last name used to be Holloway)

LOL re: FTF. We thought of "TravelBug" as a name but it just didn't seem right.

kittzle Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gespurr
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodwalker9
    I'm home frequently (last name used to be Holloway)

LOL re: FTF. We thought of "TravelBug" as a name but it just didn't seem right.
    You should get her a "dog tag" Travelbug for her collar and make her a real travel bug That's an adorable story and a great find!

Nope, didn't see any puppies, but just let me say,awwwwww! Congrats on your new "Travelbug"!
    Guess what?! I got a fever, and the only prescription...is more cowbell!!

That is a happy ending to a sad story. My wife has worked at the Storywood camp there in the past and we would meet at Riverside. I remember one time we went and someone had dumped a whole litter of kittens out. They were surviving well enough on the food in the dumpster, but they where jittery of human contact. I think a few of the camp counselors adopted a few and took them home. But I bet that is a popular dump site for critters.

gespurr Guest
    From what I hear, it is.

scoutfrog Guest
    You should get her a "dog tag" Travelbug for her collar and make her a real travel bug That's an adorable story and a great find!
    One of our local cacher has a live travel bug, look up TB # 569160 .
    LULU is a black Great Dane.[/quote]

gespurr Guest
    OMG.. I LOVE IT!!! I emailed her and asked her if I could borrow her idea (lol)