Thread: Note to self..

gespurr Guest

Note to self..

So, on Sunday morning, I was up early with my partner in crime (you know, that's almost an appropriate nickname now that I think about it..) geocaching in a town VERY well known here for said activity. The kiddo was still asleep at the residence we were visiting.

We heard about one, and read about one plenty that was planted nearby, so we decided to check it out. We forgot one factor that morning (besides the coffee) and that was to practice stealth.

Did you know that it's VERY difficult to practice stealth on a sunday morning in a church parking lot.. especially when you're doing figure 8s next to the electrical junction box of said religious establishment?

Shortly after our arrival, an older gentleman came out to dispose of the trash. About 10 seconds later, the gentleman came back out with an usher asking if they could help us. Now, I was all prepared to tell them I had lost something there yesterday (a contact lens perhaps) and would LOVE to get it back.. but no.

Partner in crime explains to the gentleman what we were looking for (a cache), the name of the cache and the object of the game. The Usher looks at us in amazement and says "WOW! actual Cash? Can I help you find it? I'd love to help you!"

I told him, no, that was OK and clarified this was not a monetary find and spelled cache for him explaining it was a modernized version of a scavenger hunt.

He tells me that obviously whomever planted it didn't have permission because certainly he'd know about it otherwise... and that he was SURE that the Elders didn't know anything either. I suggested that perhaps the pastor knew and he laughed at me saying that the pastor would know nothing.

I tried changing the subject.. I looked around the parking lot and said "You know... I think my cousin goes to this church.." (truth as my family is VERY prominent in this area.. if you've lived in this town, no doubt you've heard my maiden last name before in the area as we're pretty prominent). Changing the subject didn't work. He insisted on helping us find this hidden treasure.

I said "no, that's OK" and just left. I didn't need help finding the darn thing and certainly didn't want to ruin a well-known find.

Note to self: DO NOT go Geocaching on a sunday morning within 500 feet of the house of God. Stupid me.

Classic! Reminds me from personal experience, don't look for a cemetery cache while a funeral is going on.

gespurr Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BSA534
    Classic! Reminds me from personal experience, don't look for a cemetery cache while a funeral is going on.
    As they say their final good-byes you scream "FOUND IT!" and excuse yourself from the midst of the crowd..

right??

HikerRon Guest
    There's a multi-cache in Colorado Springs that has a waypoint at every police precinct in town. it's called 'bad Boyz'. the cache owner tells you on the cache page to be sure you have photo-ID with you when you hunt this cache, as you WILL need it. sure enough, i got confronted by police officers on 2 or the 4 WPs. whew!

gespurr Guest

ShadowCachers Guest

Actual DNF log for Pierce Cemetery TN (GCRKAB)

Actual DNF log for Pierce Cemetery TN (GCRKAB). While heading to Ohio for a vacation we decided to stop for a find in TN. We arrived at this cache right as it started to get dark. Soon as we go out and started looking at the front entrance of the cemetery a local sheriff pulled up and questioned us about what we were doing. I explained to the deputy about geocaching and I got the deer in the headlight look back. Sheriff said "So you say theres something hidden in the cemetery" I said yes and explained what geocaching is and how its played. He told us we can continue to find it because he was eager to see for himself what were were looking for. Wouldn't you know we couldn't find it and the Sheriff probly thought we were lying. I then gave him the web site to check it out. The Sheriff asked us if we had any idea where we were and I said I'm from out of town and all I knew was i was in trimble TN. He then began to tell me that about a month prior in the cemetery they ran off a bunch of satanic worshiper in the back of the cemetery. I then told him we are out of here. Wife didn't like hering that and neither did I. Might try again someday...
    Note to self-Always carry a Geocaching pamplet and cross with you while caching.

ShadowCachers Guest

Dupree Lake Jacksonville, AR

Found Dpree Lake, Jacksonville but what an adventure it was. After finding the first cache I headed toward the second and after a few minutes I found the second cache. Then I got the feeling that I was being watched and sure enough I look over my shoulder and someone was peaking around a tree watching me. I continued what I was doing and the guy walking through the woods kept peaking around a tree and dodging behind it when I would look. I then discovered there was TB in the cache so I the walked back to my car to get a trade item. After walking back to the cache I notised the guy had started walking toward my area so I explained to him what geocaching was and then I dropped off a coin. Got back to my vehicle to learn that I had locked my keys in the car and I was stranded. Thank God an older man pulled up in a truck and I used his cell phone to phone a friends for help. I had to drive all the way to Beebe to get keys and back. Great adventure Dupree Lake was. Good thing though the man in the woods never got to see where the cache was and I hide it well. TFTF and adventure. Note to self.. Dont use all the hide-a-key containers for caching and use one for spare key.