Thread: Writing Logs

cachemates Guest

Writing Logs

Does anyone else have this problem on Geocaching.com, or is it only me?
    Being a slow typer sometimes it takes me a while to write a log. When I send it the little green bar at the bottom just sits there. Then a can't find server or something like that pops up and I lost my log. Now I have to write it again. That has happened twice tonight.
    I have had trouble with the dsl service from the get go.
    Just wondering if anyone else has to write their logs several times?
    Sorry AR_HICK but I may be forced to copy and paste TFTC.
    I may start calling the cache owner and giving a cache log over the telephone. Only have to do that 1 time.

Of course, if you're using GSAK, you don't have to retype even if your connection does time out. Just start the "post log" macro over again.

Yet another great use for GSAK, posting your logs.

cachemates Guest
    Thanks Mike I will give that a try.

Mike has a great suggestion. Frequently while on the road, I'll carry the laptop and post the log on GSAK notes for that cache. Then you can download the log at your convenience and repost if having problems with the website. Occasionally GC,com is having problems with their server which results in the problem you describe. Oh, if you run GPXSonar, you can also log on you PDA and download to gc,com..

Hey Jerry, I have had that same problem on occasion. I have defeated this by writing logs that I feel will be extensive, in Word, and then pasting them into the box on GC.com. As most may know about me, I am barely computer literate, and this works for me.
    Guess what?! I got a fever, and the only prescription...is more cowbell!!

RugerPilot345 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TnT
    Of course, if you're using GSAK, you don't have to retype even if your connection does time out. Just start the "post log" macro over again.

Yet another great use for GSAK, posting your logs.
    Uh oh TnT you have peaked my interest....please tell me more......I use GSAK but not ever for posting logs....how do i??

Thanks in advance!!

Joe (RP345)

Quite simple really. Just write your log in the "notes" field and save. We do it on our laptop as we're finding them so things are fresh in our mind.

Once you get home and are ready to log, simple make sure you're connected. Open up the note you wrote and you'll see a button entitled "Log Cache". When you hit the button, it opens up the log entry screen for that particular cache on GC.com. It also puts your "notes" onto your clipboard, so that once you've selected the type of log and verified the date, you only have to click in the text box, and past <CTRL V> for windows users, select any TBs you may have dropped off and "post entry".

I've made a couple of modifications to the macro so that once I've verified that GC took my log, GSAK deletes the entry from my notes field and checks the "user flag" box. (I chose that one because I don't use it for anything else). Then, when I'm all done logging, I filter on "user flag" and copy the results from my default database to my found database.

Don't hesitate to ask if I can help in any other way.