Thread: Oxford to Hot springs

lacey38655 Guest

Oxford to Hot springs

My husband (sniperchicken) and daughter (littlebit) will be coming to Hot Springs July 13th thru 19th. Could you guys and gals refer me to some really good family friendly places to visit as well as must do caches... We will be tent camping around Hot springs and Little Rock. Any help you can pass on would be greatly appreciative...

Lacey

SaveAll4love Guest

Hot Springs

I hope your tent has AC, it gets kinda warm around here that time of year. There are lots of things to do, first and foremost you should check out Mid-America Childrens Museum, Bathhouse row is another great area to check out. I'm not sure but I think Gulpe Gorge allows tent camping and it is within the National Park. Magic Springs and Crystal Falls Amusement Park and Water Park $49.99 for a season pass. There is a great earthcache that will take you all through the National Park and it will take about half a day to complete. Bring your fishing pole too some of the best fishing around is located all around Hot Springs.

As far as caching there are several around the local area. There is a pretty good mix of large and small caches. If you want a great afternoon of caching travel up to Glenwood and do the Binford Tool Time Series of caches from "cachemates" they are awesome.

You also have a few state parks in the area too that will give you some awesome camping, Lake Catherine State Park, Lake Degray State Park and Lake Ouachita State Park.

Hope this helps, I 'll just stick to Hot Springs and let someone from Little Rock give you the heads up for that area.

Enjoy your stay!!!

Not sure how old your kids are but for several years when I was young, I thought Hot Springs was the only place you could go on vacation! Mid-America Science Museum is a great place to visit and I have fond memories of visiting the Alligator Farm and Tiny Town. Those last 2 were always the highlight of every trip (along with the IQ Zoo and the wax museum, both gone now). I haven't got to cache in HS much yet, but I too love the Tool Time series in Glenwood.

As far as Little Rock goes, you should check out the Old Mill in NLR (of course there's a cache there). Downtown LR has a lot to offer, the Arkansas History Museum, trolley, Clinton Presidential Museum, Old State House Museum and the Children's Museum and Museum of Discovery.

We also enjoy the LR Zoo. Burns Park is a great place to go caching! Lots of caches and trails. I'm sure there will be others that have some great spots I've left off.

SaveAll4love Guest
    Thanks for adding the science, BSA534. I realized my mistake last evening and had planned on correcting it today. The Museum I ment to refer to is Mid-America Science Museum. I also agree that the alligator farm is a must see. I didn't realize that the Wax Museum had closed, it has been a few years since we have gone there.

You should walk the Promenade Trail behind Bathhouse Row also it is beautiful and the Hot Springs Mountain Tower and West Mountan Vista are a couple places to visit to see the entire city and the surrounding area.

Another word about Lake Catherine State Park, we did the two night caches that sjclimber placed last evening. Those caches coupled with all of quartzzcachers caches make it a great spot to visit and get some great caches. All but two of quartzcachers are 50 cal ammo cans stuffed with goodies. Keith

Gelcube Guest
    When did the wax museum close? It was open last year when my wife and I went there for our anniversary. Or was that year-before-last? Ach, the years, they flow together. :P

Okay, one of our personal family favorites when Mark was with us everywhere is Tiny Town. It is a little hole in the wall, $2 a head sorta family run spot on the divided street (Wittington?) going to the alligator farm. It is an entire hugeeeeeeeee room set up with model trains that go through mountains, a carnival, little towns, etc. etc. etc. It is awesome.

We also love the alligator farm, that's not something you see just everyday. Also, if you have the chance and it's not too horribly hot, go down and dig for diamonds at Murfreesboro or crystals around Hot Springs Village.

Little Rock -- although I am so NOT a Clinton fan, the Clinton Presidential Library is a must. History we have lived in can't be beat. Their store is off site, but it has all sorts of interesting items and souvenirs. Children's Museum at the River Market and the River Market itself are both neat.

You need to ride the street cars in Little Rock too. It's either a dollar or two, unless that's changed.

You're in for fun, except it sounds like they're going without you? Bummer.

topkitty98 aka Beth

Call if you need anything or a tour guide - 501-413-0127
    I am in Jacksonville, just north of Little Rock and off for most of the summer!!!

Looks like the wax museum is still there. Its called the Josephine Tussaud Wax Museum. I didn't see it on a couple of websites I looked at so I just assumed it was probably gone. You can find more about it here:
    http://www.rideaduck.com/waxmuseum/inde ... rld-of-wax

I also forgot the Ducks! You need to ride a duck while you are there. Its a great way to see the area.

flannelman Guest
    The science museam is a must see as it the moutain tower. Another fun thing is the Maxwell Blade theater of magic. He does a great show!! There are a lot of parks, most with a cache, that you can go play at. You can rent a boat or jet ski at the lakes and there are lots of places to fish and swim. If you stay at Gulpha Gorge campground you will be close to everything in Hot Spings and can be in Little Rock in just under an hour. That is one of the nicesest campgrounds in the area and it has geat hiking trails that go over the moutain into downtown. When you firm up your plans let me know. I can help out with directions to whatever you are interested in just shoot me an email. One more thing, The Witness is a geat outdoor play about the life of Jesus that runs through the summer. Shows start at dusk at the Panther Valley Ranch ampitheater.

Geezer_Veazey Guest
    Garvan Gardens is a wonderland of photo opportunities.

http://www.garvangardens.org/