Thread: WHERIGO ?

mountainborn Guest

WHERIGO ?

We think we might give Wherigo a try. Anybody on here ever tried or currently doing the Wherigo adventures ? We would like to hear from a actual user. When I do a search for nearby cartriges, I find none.
    Link to the Wherigo site:
    http://www.wherigo.com/

mountainborn Guest
    I think the way it might work is that if you were doing a cache loop, say the Spadra Trail, for example, at each cache one might find a "bonus" set of coordinates ( only available on your gps when you arrive at the correct coords) to another cache that might have a connection with the history of the area. A combination lock could open a cache to reveal a code you would enter into your GPS, then it would play a presentation about a event such a Civil War skirmish, ect..
    Now, talk about a cool self guided tour of a area !
    So, am I any where close ? How does this Wherigo actually work ?

mountainborn Guest
    Two of our forums members seem to have played this one in Burns Park. Maybe they could help with the explination.
    >
    Here is the link:
    http://www.wherigo.com/cartridge/det...3-1d5740c4d0ee

Mountainborn,
    Looks like you are the only one with the right toy to play the game right now. I'm anxious to hear your experiences!

majii Guest
    I teamed up with JJED to find the Whereigo cache in Burns Park, and we kinda had to find it by brute force, not having the appropriate toys. I personally didn't even go out to Burns Park until I had the final coordinates, or at least some approximation of them. I'm not sure how somebody might go about finding this one the "right" way. A better person to ask about Whereigo caches might be ar_kayaker, who hid the cache in question. Sorry I couldn't be much help...

mountainborn Guest
    Ok, buddy, thanks. I looked up on the wherigo fouums where he ( arka yakker ) was asking questions last February trying to figure out how to build a cartrige for that Burns Park cache.
    I'l keep on reading, picking up a bit here and there.
    As for the Colorado, it is acting more and more docile as they do more and more software updates. I will likely try to cache with it some at the Lake Catherine Event, with the old Magellan as a faithful , but "clunkier" than ever back up. The Colorado will still only download one at a time from geocaching.com , or fifteen at a time from mygarmin.com. I will be glad when they get the thing smoothed out where I can download a couple of hundred at a time.

cupstack Guest
    Similar to majii - I did not have the appropriate tool. I took my laptop with me and used the whereigo simulator. Went back and forth between Burns Park and a nearby neighborhood (where I found a wifi connection) to get internet access to use Google Maps and their satellite view. Finally came up with right coordinates.

It is a great idea but a little difficult without the appropriate tool(s).

JJED Guest
    We did the one person at home on the computer and one person at Burns Park with the gps method.

mountainborn Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JJED
    We did the one person at home on the computer and one person at Burns Park with the gps method.
    Very cool !
    Jeremy on the wherigo forums was chattin' with someone about that last time I was there.