Thread: Desert Caching

pshelto Guest

Desert Caching

I'm going on a business trip out to Las Cruces, NM next week and wondered if anyone had hit any caches out there. I have seen quite a few good ones and I am looking forward to seeing the different ways they hide caches in the desert.

Any good cache suggestions or general caching in the desert pointers would be appreciated.

I've never geocached in the Las Cruces area, but I have geocached in the desert in AZ and in desert areas along I-40 in NM. My experience has been that the caches are not hidden a lot different than here, except there are few trees and those are pretty small. So hiding spots in rocks are favored. My recommendations for caching in the desert:

1) Carry plenty of water
    2) Use plenty of sunscreen
    3) Wear a hat - not a ball cap, but one with a full brim all the way around
    4) Carry plenty of water
    5) Watch out for rattlesnakes - especially in the evening and early morning before it gets hot - they like the rocks too
    6) Watch out for chuckwallas - they will bite and not let go
    7) Carry plenty of water
    8 ) Be sure you have extra batteries for your GPSr and your cell phone is fully charged
    9) Be sure your gas tank is full before you set out on your daily caching trip - gas stations may be few and far in between
    10) Carry plenty of water
    11) A vehicle with high clearance and preferably 4WD/AWD is highly recommend if you get off the pavement

While you're in that area, I recommend you head a little north and visit the White Sands Nat Monument. Neat place.

Oh, did I mention that you should carry PLENTY OF WATER? And don't just carry it - drink it!
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen

6) Watch out for chuckwallas - they will bite and not let go
    I've heard that.
    Guess what?! I got a fever, and the only prescription...is more cowbell!!

In 2005, we went to Colorado via Oklahoma, a narrow chunk of Texas, and New Mexico.

Of those states, I was impressed with the caches at the Murrah Building in Ok City - virtuals but so moving - and the Cadillac Ranch in Texas - also a virtual.

Neither of these are desert areas, although we did Cadillac Ranch in the dark in a sand storm. The gas stations were quite far apart, the water available was also and we weren't in the desert. If you are staying in hotels, that was hard to find if you wait very late also (and way more expensive than other areas we visited!)

That is the sum total of my experience. ha ha
    Oh, the mesas were awesome to see for this native Arkansas girl. Just like in the Social Studies books I've always taught from!

pshelto Guest
    Well most of the caches out in NM were pretty good but there were a lot that were not longer active and had not been archived. I searched for one after climbing up a massive levee and looking for about 30 minutes and then got back and it had just been archived. I arranged a coin swap with a guy from the area and instead of a swap it was a T-coins L-n. Punk "forgot" to bring his coins to switch.

Lots of puzzle caches in the area that are super, super tough. I worked out a few but ended up waiting on a confirmation of the coords to the point that I didn't get to get out and make the grab. Oh well. Had fun and put some miles on some trackables.