Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Arkansas Caches: How Can We Get MORE of Them?

Wow guys!!!
    Conway looks awesome! Those new ones sound so exciting!
    I am accepting the challenge, but I don't know about the time limits. I am recovering from emergency surgery on my eye (gross) and was given a bunch of limitations for a while which definitely will cramp my caching style - no lifting, no bending (yeah, right!)
    I will be up to the challenge soon, though! And I can't wait to hit Conway again soon!!!!
    COOOOOOLLLLL!!!!

topkitty98

Oh, yes, Lonoke is definitely coming along with the challenge, thanks to Lady E! The two new ones are neat. I like the stats you've dug up, too! When you consider how many people travel through our great state, and how many geocachers already travel with spare pens, logs, etc. then surely if we go out and place in areas that are new territory we will increase numbers of caches and cachers. I'm with G & OD, not to just throw out junk but some caches don't have to be extremely elaborate. I have 3 ideas that I began with that are still not out because of the thinking and gathering involved. I started with the micros and only one of those took much prep on the container, yet with neat areas, I think they are worth the effort of the hunt.
    Thanks, guys, looking forward to a fruitful week for all!!!!

topkitty98
    >^..^<

rock_hound Guest
    Topkitty I wish you a speedy recovery.

MAN......that final exam cache looks really complicated. That must have really took some work to put together. I am looking forward to that one.

As part of my job I frequently travel all over the State. I commonly see areas that look like a good spot for a cache. I have not placed any in these areas because I would not be able to maintain it if something went wrong. What is everyone opinion? Should I start putting caches in cache poor areas even though I can't maintain them?

Quote Originally Posted by rock_hound
    MAN......that final exam cache looks really complicated.
    Yeah, it's pretty complicated, but not that difficult. The homework is the hardest part, I'd say...

Should I start putting caches in cache poor areas even though I can't maintain them?
    Probably not a good thing. GC.com's opinion is pretty well established on this subject, too (see the vacation caches rule). However, there may be some areas that you frequent that may or may not be close to "home". As long as you can maintain it properly (regularly), I don't see a problem.
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

Phantom_491 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaddiel
    MAN......that final exam cache looks really complicated.
    Yeah, it's pretty complicated, but not that difficult. The homework is the hardest part, I'd say...
    Homework Done!!!

southdeltan Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaddiel
    Should I start putting caches in cache poor areas even though I can't maintain them?
    Probably not a good thing. GC.com's opinion is pretty well established on this subject, too (see the vacation caches rule). However, there may be some areas that you frequent that may or may not be close to "home". As long as you can maintain it properly (regularly), I don't see a problem.
    I agree that's not a good idea. But, if you go through an area a couple of times a month and you know a good spot - by all means place a cache. I don't go to Lake Chicot every week, but I go to Greenville once or twice a month and if needed I can get to Lake Chicot within a few days if something is wrong with my cache.

I don't think throwing caches out just to have them out there is a good idea - however I think it is a GREAT idea to hide QUALITY caches in every county in Arkansas. I challenge you guys to start a list of counties without caches and keep track of when they get a cache. The MS Delta was almost completely barren when I started and now there are quite a few caches here. I will probably place a few more caches in Chicot County. I will also contact the cache owners in the SE to find out if they're still active and if they are I'll tell them about this website.

Promotion is an idea that's coming up again and again. It's a great idea to promote geocaching to your friends and family - but make sure you stress high quality caches. I know some people think "any cache is a good cache" but after experiencing multiple drive up to a garbage dumpster with a magnetic keyholder on it - you may change your mind. Some places are flooded with pointless micros (micros CAN be great, but they're also easy to do poorly).

I'll see if I can dig up my friend Drat19's list of suggestions for cache hiders. It's a pretty good read.

southdeltan

Geoark1 Guest
    Do I get extra points for putting my name on my paper? Did fold it correctly? Do I get 1/2 credit for the homework part. I have all the answers.

Now just finding time to get back on the UCA campus. By the time I get back there it will have another name. The first time I took a course at UCA it was still ASTC, then the second course it was another name and by the last time I took a course in 89 iwas already UCA.

President Hardin has eaten supper at my house when we were in high school, reckon he would slip me the answers?

You know only the boss gets to leave early beginning a week end holiday, so I played geocaching after he left and I got my home work done. Goes to show ya when the boss is away the mice will play.

rock_hound Guest
    Gaddiel Wrote:
    Homework done! Took me about 30 minutes. This has proved to me once again the power of the internet. And also that I could use the internet for more than geocaching. I wish this had been around when I was in school.

Now if I can just beat Phantom

LadyEngineer Guest

Done too.

Our homework is done, too. So the race is on between Team Rock Hound, GeoArk1, Phantom_491 and LE/Strider869. Humm. Who will win this FTF.

Gaddiel bet your laughing at us.

Phantom_491 Guest

Re: Done too.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyEngineer
    Our homework is done, too. So the race is on between Team Rock Hound, GeoArk1, Phantom_491 and LE/Strider869. Humm. Who will win this FTF.
    The test was today?!? Dang it I overslept!

Actually today ws yard-work day and if you've done my Phantom's Haunt cache, you know how big my yard is. I'll try to get out later this afternoon/evening and take the makeup test.