Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Arkansas Caches: How Can We Get MORE of Them?

Arkansas Caches: How Can We Get MORE of Them?

I'm sure we would all love to see more caches in Arkansas. I know I would. I also know that the more caches there are, the better chance we have of getting someone involved. The more people that are involved, the more caches we get.

I was just looking at the current poll on the home page, and it looks like almost 28% of those that responded to this poll have no hides in Arkansas and almost 60% have less than three hides. Looking at these numbers, it seems that there would be three ways to increase the number of caches in Arkansas: 1) increase the number of cachers in the state 2)increase the number of hides for each cacher or 3) do both. This leads me to two sets of questions:

1) What can we do as a group to encourage cachers to hide more caches? What is keeping you from hiding more caches (or even your first cache)?

2) What kinds of things can we do, both individually and as a group, to promote geocaching in our area and get more people involved?
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

BooCrew Guest
    Gaddiel, We haven't been doing this long and don't get to go out frequently. We've probably been out 5 or 6 times since May and I don't feel confident enough on finding them much less hiding them. I don't want to place one just to place one and have it be a piece of crap just to get a 1 in our hidden stats. But, I have been thinking about it. I've even been digging through the trash at work looking for appropiate containers. Of course after that, it'll be finding just the right spot.

Just a suggestion maybe we need to have a geocaching 101 and put it in the local paper and tv stations. just a sugestion.I'll look into it in the NWA.
    If your not living life on the edge your taking up too much space!!!!!!

GEO Guest
    I will see what I can do too.
    Working on some right now.
    Publicity that is.

motexoutlaw Guest
    We have lived just southwest of Houston, TX since relocation from St. Louis 1n 1997. Our son & daughter still live in the St. Louis area, so we travel thru Arkansas several times a year to visit them. We often stop to visit my sister in Benton or my wife’s sister in Wynne as we drive thru. It was good to see several caches pop up in the Benton area just this year. I have found many of Deezers nearby Benton caches, several of Arkansas Bugman’s West Memphis (devious) caches, and did the complete “Marion 5” series of chili36 on our way to St. Louis on Aug. 17. 42 of my 352 finds are Arkansas caches. While caching in Benton on our last two trips (June and this one now in Aug), my young nephew (sister’s grandson) showed an interest in caching. I took him along with his granddad on these two trips and he really enjoyed it . I thought of helping hem hide a cache that I could cosponsor with him and he & his granddad maintain it. But in the end we posted it on his new account. His geocaching name is Jamie2 and his new cache is “Jamie’s Saline River Overlook” in Benton. I have got a travelbug tag for him and as soon as he decides what he wants to attach to it and name it, he will release it thru his new cache. As we stop thru the Benton area on our trips to St. Louis, I will take him along with me to find nearby caches, and hope to find places that he could hide another cache. I do have one Arkansas cache. My brother-in-law showed me a civil war monument in Little Rock and I posted it as “Little Rocks Last Stand” sponsored by “MoTexOutlaw & Rooster”

Now to get some new caches, in Brinkley, Forest City, Wynne area.

Just keep building caches along I-30 (Texarkana-Little Rock), I-40 (Little Rock-West Memphis), I-55 (West Memphis-MO-AR line) and we will come!!!

GEO Guest
    I really like placing caches,but have to be careful not to get too spread out,it is rough to maintain the 50 or so I have.
    I have lots of ideas but just can't maintain many more.
    I will put out a few more in Arkansas soon.

Improvise,I have one that is in Missouri but registered in Arkansas.
    Arkansas or Missouri cache.

So those of you that do not have any, get out there and hide one or 2 it will be well worth your efforts to do so.

I have one in the front yard and have met quite a few geocachers that way.I am not always here but love to see geocachers when they come through and I am here.
    TIGGR has one 525 feet from that one.

Start with your favorite local parks.

GEO Guest
    Another way to establish more caches,check out this one and get credit for hiding a cache.
    http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...6-c57b8083a2dd

I had been looking at it as potential but just got to it to post the link.

rock_hound Guest
    I think one good way is challenge each other. Gaddiel, since you started this thread I now feel obligated to publiclly challenge you to matching the four caches I recently placed in Conway. If anyone is interested here they are:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...1-ac648a2d3230
    http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...e-26c415d6c2a5
    http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...c-23e9da0f0178
    http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...b-4ac53c0a4808
    http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...a-bc2c2a3fec11

Yeesh! You had to bring this up in public, didn't ya? Well, if it's gonna be that way, I'll ACCEPT your challenge! Look for even MORE new Conway caches coming soon...

And now for a group challenge:

I challenge every member of ArkGeo to place just ONE new cache by Thursday, September 9th, 2004. That gives you a full week. Who's up for it?
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

Geezer_Veazey Guest
    I plan to try to find a place to hide a cache on Sat. Sept. 11th following the JAKES event. So I accept your challenge except for the time constraint placed on it. Generally I think challenges are good, but time constraints are bad. I would not want someone to do a 2nd rate job in order to meet a time constraint.

I think we need more geocaching missionaries - people willing to go to the unconverted and plant churches, if you'll forgive the religion metaphor. We have a lot of caches in highly localized areas. The presence of caches and the presence of cachers seems to go hand in hand. We need to go into areas where caches are scarce or non-existent and place caches. As the cache population grows the cacher population will grow and place more caches. There is a sort of synergism there. But we've got to get the ball rolling by going into new areas and placing caches.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Geezer.