Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Out of caching for a while...

flannelman Guest

Out of caching for a while...

Since my Etrex Legend has died I'll be out of caching for a while till I can save up for a new one. The repair cost Garmin quoted me isn't much less than a new unit so I really can't see forking out the cache err... cash to get it fixed. Looks like I'll be saving cans for a new GPSr. Cyas on the trails.

Sorry to hear about your gps woes. What happened to your unit? Did it just die or did it have some help? If you get to suffering from withdrawals you could check ebay for a cheap used unit to get you by until you can save up for a Colorado.

Team Panda Guest

Re: Out of caching for a while...

Quote Originally Posted by flannelman
    The repair cost Garmin quoted me isn't much less than a new unit so I really can't see forking out the cache err... cash to get it fixed.
    Yeah, Garmin's "Flat Rate Repair" program sucks. I suspect its their way of encouraging people to buy new units on a fairly regular basis because most people think like you do. It's really not worth the bucks to repair something that old.

Anyway, speaking of old, I've got my old Magellan Meridian Platinum just laying around. It's a dinosaur but you can find a cache with it! If you'd like a loaner until you can scrape up the cache (dang, I did it too!) to buy a new one, you're more than welcome to it.

Shoot me an email if you're interested, we can get together and I'll give you a short rundown on how to work the thing. (Step 1. Bury chicken bone in backyard under light of full moon. Mark Waypoint.)

flannelman Guest
    It hasn't completly dies yet but it is well on it's way. The display is just freking out. It keeps going all black or blank. I may take you up on that loaner in a couple of weeks after finals.

Will, I have a Magellan SporTrak with mapping software, cable, etc..if you wish to borrow??? Not fancy, but works and gets you on the hunt.. Email with interest..

Will,
    I hate that you are having problems. I have an 60CS that you are certainly welcome to use until you can replace your unit. Just give me a shout.

Will, have you checked Garmins website for an update? I read somewhere that they have a fix for the display problems. It also said that it has something to do with the WAAS feature on these units. I am going to download the update to my old Vista unit that is having the same problems as your Legend tomorrow and see if that fixes it. This may or may not be a fix but it could be worth a shot.

Also check out this website for some other info on these units.

Good Luck and see you on the trail.

flannelman Guest
    Thanks everyone!! There are some of the greatest people here!! I'll look into what I want to do after finals nest week. I gotta pass those so I can graduate next year!! I may use some of the economic stimulus to stimulate my geocaching. Thanks again guys I'll let ya know what I want to do soon.

Team Panda Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by flannelman
    I may use some of the economic stimulus to stimulate my geocaching.
    Oh my, now why didn't I think of that?

~exits singing~

Colorado Geocaching high,
    I need a new 400, don't know why...
    Guess I love the gadgets, just cause I'm a guy...
    Geocaching high, Colorado, Geocaching high, Colorado...

flannelman Guest
    Something I'm thinking about now is to take all of you up on your offers and compare each unit with the other. There never has been anything like that done here before and maybe it would help out some of the newer caches on what unit to get. I will get started right after finals are finished next week. I'll post all my findings here so everyone can see how these units stack up. Let me know what ya think and If ya have a unit ya want reviewed and compared.