Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Save Gas Money For More Caching

Dentful1 Guest

Save Gas Money For More Caching

I know most of us are being hit by these high gas prices and have just about slowed to a crawl to go caching. Here are a few tips that I personally have done and done in the past to increase my MPG.

1. Get a new air filter. Preferably a K & N Air Filter. They increase MPG and horsepower.

2. Open up your exhaust. This is where you can be illegal and get away with it. Most country boys have straight pipes on their trucks and they are loud. You can talk to your local muffler shop to help you out with your specific vehicle. Those big V-8's can be opened up to get as much as 5 added MPG. If you don't want the loud roar than check out the Flowmaster Series Muffler. They have a nice exhaust "note."

3. Keep your tires inflated to the maximum allowed. During the summer you may want to go 2 - 3 pounds less because when the tire heats up due to driving they will increase in pressure.

4. Just slow down a little. That is the biggest thing. It's hard to do that, trust me.

I have a 2005 Honda Civic 1. 7 Liter. I have rigged up my own "Cold Air Intake" and took off my muffler. It is a little louder but not annoying like those "Rice Racers." I was getting 38 MPG traveling to Hot Springs from Glenwood everyday. Now by doing all the listed things above I have increased it to 44 MPG. The hardest thing is to slow down from running 60 in a 55 to 50 in a 55. The noise from the missing muffler is not bad considering how much less I have to pay at the pump.

A little sacrifice for more Caching time. I can do it. Can you?

Dentful1 Guest
    I just fueled up this morning on my way to work. Here is the low down.

499.6 miles drove
    10.54 gallons to fill up tank

That is 47.40 Mile per gallon

It works!!

RugerPilot345 Guest
    WOW that is great......you are the man!!

Joe (RP45)

RugerPilot345 Guest
    Was watching the news and this was discussed to the extreme a few minutes ago....they call it "hypermilling"!! WOW!!

http://hypermiling.com/

Joe (RP345)

Dentful1 Guest
    I just got back from Cachemates house to get some caches loaded up for my California trip and Mrs. Cachemates walks in the door and offered to buy my car for $2,000. I told her she needs to think of a higher bid. I then told Cachemates that I got 49.2 MPG on my last fill up Tuesday morning. I noticed that Mr. Cachemates was in touch with some guys from Little Rock on getting his truck to get better MPG. That truck of his drinks gas like a fish does water. I told him about a "cold air intake from K&N." I also told him to get a set of straight pipes for it. I sure do hope he considers those options.

I think that would be a good idea for Cachemates.
    STRAIGHT PIPES
    He could drive around like he did when he was a teenager.
    Rrruummm! Rrruuummmmm! POP! POW! Bang!
    You would not be stealthy, but you would be COOL!
    I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world.
    Thomas A. Edison

I could only dream of getting 40 MPG, much less 20 mpg. southerngirl and I drive a Jeep Wrangler for our caching and general trips. One tank (around 15 gallons) will last us about 250-275 miles, if we ever get 300 miles out of a tank were jumping up and down with joy! The gas prices has hit us hard and can be seen by our caching numbers for this year compared to last year. Hopefully we'll start grabbing some of the caches that are closer to home instead of passing by them when we go on errands.

I don't have many options for the Wrangler as far as fuel economy. Loud pipes would be too annoying, and I replace the air filter often enough along with spark plugs. As far as driving different, we find ourselves going slower on the interstate and drafting big rigs for a few mpg extra .

Happy caching and we hope to see you on the trial soon

Dentful1 Guest
    Aw yes, drafting big rigs. If you can get away with it, do it. MYTHBUSTERS did an episode on drafting behind big rigs. IT IS EXTREMELY DANGEROUS and illegal, BUT, you can improve your overall mpg by as much as 50% drafting a big truck at say around 20 feet behind it. You can get away with drafting at about 100 feet behind a big truck (about twice the length of the truck) and still get great benefits traveling long distances on the interstate, around a 25% overall improvement on mpg. I will try to find this Mythbuster Episode and see about posting a hyperlink to it.

Dodges, Chrystlers, and Jeeps get the worst gas mileage out of 3 major auto manufacturers. Try a Ford Hybrid or a Chevy Hybrid, better yet get a Honda.

Dentful1 Guest
    Here is the hyperlink to the Mythbusters test on drafting a big rig. My numbers were a little flawed but remember every car gets different results. If I remember right, Mythbusters used a Dodge Charger. Do some figuring and see what you can come up with on the chart.

http://mythbusters-wiki.discovery.co...g+Rig+Drafting

flannelman Guest
    I have been looking into a cold air intake and a more open exhaust for my Ford Focus ZX3. I get 29 mpg with regular driving and get up to 35mpg if I just put around. I have also been looking at Brown's Gas generators. They claim to increase milage by splitting water atoms though electrolysis. It looks interesting and it should work on any rig.