Thread: "WASHOUT" of a caching trip

mountainborn Guest

"WASHOUT" of a caching trip

We got a late start this morning, didn't get away from the house untill ten oclock. I had loaded caches into the new Colorado last night and away we went to find caches in an area South of Lodi.
    The M/S trips & streets said we were near the first cache so I turned on the Colorado. Nothing ! Well duuh, I didn't get it right and there were no caches in the machine.
    Changing the old Magellan Gold's maping protocol to the one that Streets & Trips uses, we continued onward, entering each cache manualy, one at a time as needed.
    A few bumps in the road, but still not a washout !
    Eight or nine caches on down the road, we found a county road department diamond shaped warning sign, face down in an intersection. A four wheeler had been spinning doughnuts around it. We continued on towards the next cache.
    Butcherknife is driving, I am navigating. As I am trying to get the pointer on the pushpin icon for the next cache so I can bring up the coordinates for the manual entry into the Magellan, it happened. Suddenly hitting the brakes and causing my shoulder/lap belt to quickly latch as the wireless mouse skipped across the dashboard, butcherknife said, "HOLEY SCHIZZLE !!"
    A BRIDGE WASHOUT HAD OCCOURED. Not your average old missing bridge, bump in the road type of washout. But one instead, that would hold several semi tractor trailers !
    When I saw that butcherknife reached over and pulled the transfer case into four wheel drive low range, and started down the bank into the ditch, I went to grabbing for the cell phone camera and started shooting video. It is low quality and grainy, but you will still get a good look at reason number 134, "WHY WE DRIVE A JEEP CACHING" !!
    We were late for lunch, low on gas, and as we jarred and bounced through the water crossing, we were amazed at the actual size of the washout.
    Here is a link to the video on youtube:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBDDN5Fn-Pc

Wow, I couldn't even see much of anything left of that bridge. Just another great reason to have 4WD in Arkansas!

GeoJeepers Guest
    Nothin' better than a Jeep for a backcountry caching trip....but I guess we might be just a little partial to them!

Team_Pink Guest
    A Colorado?!?! That is so not fair!