Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GARMIN COLORADO 400T

mountainborn Guest

GARMIN COLORADO 400T

While looking at the Garmins , we couldn't help but notice the colotado series with that large color screen.
    The features on the 400T just made our mouths water ! We have read reports, compared features and checked prices. We think we want one, but they are so new. Would someone on here that is using one of the 400t's give us a first hand report ?

lostru Guest
    I still cant find one localy to even lay my hands on.

mountainborn Guest
    Found this wiki through the groundspeak forums:
    http://garmincolorado.wikispaces.com/Issues+List
    Because it is a wiki ( anybody can write to it ) and it's not an "official" source of information, so, some of these "issues" may actually be non creditable ??
    Geeze ! I dunno' ??

mountainborn Guest
    Youtube video on the Rock N' Roller switch's cover removal & functions:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSIEI9MrgP0

relikborg Guest
    So by reading that it seems I may be better off upgrading my 60c to a 60csx and a road model for the same price as a colorado.

mountainborn Guest
    We recieved a email from the gps store that our Colorado 400t was shipped today. Yep, we just went ahead and bit the bullet, for better or worse. Since we don't have the owners manual to study, we are looking for ways to get up to speed ( as much as is possible ? ) before the delivery date.
    We found this page in the wiki:
    http://garmincolorado.wikispaces.com/Geocaching
    Here is a brief excerp:
    >
    GC1.) What does the Colorado's paperless geocaching mode do for me?

Geocaching mode in the Colorado allows you to download a gpx file such as a Groundspeak pocket query (aka PQ) containing geocaches onto the Colorado. Information including the geocache name, GCID, coordinates, type, difficulty, terrain, owner, description, trackables, logs and hint are available to read on the on the Colorado.

In addition you can mark caches as found, not found or in need of maintenance while in the field. Once you return to your PC you can upload your find data (i.e. the caches, dates and type of log) to Groundspeak using the Field Note support which streamlines the process of logging your finds.

The Colorado maintains two lists of caches, the Unfound List and the Found List. Caches that get loaded into the Colorado from a gpx file are always put in the Unfound List. This is the default list you will see when selecting Shortcuts->Geocaches Once they are marked as found they are removed from this list and put on the Found List. The Found List is visible by selecting Shortcuts->Geocaches->Options->Show Found.

>
    Man, oh, man ! I like the sound of that !

mountainborn Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by relikborg
    So by reading that it seems I may be better off upgrading my 60c to a 60csx and a road model for the same price as a colorado.
    >
    Because we are using a laptop & MS streets & trips, we will not replace our dated and shakey PDA with a newer one. Instead put that money towards the Colorado since it will store the same data, without going through Cachemate. Instead of carrying a PDA & a GPS to the cache we will only carry the GPS because it will contain all of the data.
    These weary old eyes really enjoy the laptop's much larger screen for street navigation.
    >
    Here is a link to a side by side comparison, Colorado vs 60csx:
    http://garmincolorado.wikispaces.com/Colorado+vs+60csx

HercRx Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by relikborg
    I don't know much about the Colorado series but I did notice that like everything, GPSr's are getting expensive! I have a 60CSX and even though it doesn't have all the geocaching features of the Colorado, it does a great job and does have some limited geocaching features.

Another note for you...when I got my CSX in 2006 I got it from Walmart.com It was about $200 cheaper than I could find it elsewhere. I'm not overly fond of Wal-Mart but mostly what I'm saying is, shop around. There are better deals out there.

Team Panda Guest
    Some geocaching friends picked one up after hearing me lust after them, and have been having some problems. Of course, they're going straight from paper caching to the Colorado so the learning curve is pretty steep.

But, I went over to try and help them get it set up and going and I've got to say, there were some problems and as always, the user's manual is next to useless. I honestly don't know why they waste the money to print the manuals if they're not going to give you the information you need.

General consensus on them from everyone I've talked to who has one or has handled one is "Wait until they get the bugs worked out."

Sounds like a plan to me.

Besides, my lil ol 60CS is doing just fine for now.

mountainborn Guest
    UPDATE:
    I powered up the Colorado after noteing that the "MY GARMIN" web site was down for a update and maintennance. What ever they did made cache downloading quick and simple. One click to select all caches on the page, then one click to send it directly to your Colorado.
    I was immediately able to use my laptop and windows vista to download caches, including all of the cache page text straight to the Colorado without any form of "ripping or converting". No other programs were used. The hang up is that you can only download fifteen at a time that way. At my line speeds it took about eleven seconds to download each cache.
    I havn't tried using cachemate yet. I took the caches that I had in the Colorado, the nearest to my home, they were mine, and tried to find them. So far I am using the Colorado clumbsily ( wow, is that a word ? ), and my search area is pretty wide. I look for that to change with frequent use and learning the capability of the various navigational screens.