Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GARMIN COLORADO 400T

mountainborn Guest
    The youtube video that hooked me on the Colorado. Here is the link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7Dp1...eature=related

mountainborn Guest
    BENBROOK LAKE WHERIGO:
    An intresting and informative read about a Wherigo adventure in the Dallas / Ft. Worth metro area.
    Here's the URL:
    http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...1-4b5c292097db

mountainborn Guest
    Eighteen months passed since I became frustrated with our Colorado 400t, and put it on the shelf to wait for improvements. This seemed logical because Garmin has such good customer service and a reputation for updating and taking care of business. I guess the last straw for me was when I got a tech represenative on the phone who became angry and flippant as I became very speciffic about functionality.
    I explained to several caching friends that we would continue caching with our ageing Magellan until Garmin had a chance to get the Colorado's glitches in hand.
    Garmin has improved the software and I have updated our Colorado online with the patch cord.
    It now does all of the things it is supposed to ! The Colorado now meets all of my expectations. But you know how that is, we always want more from our tech toys !
    I look for caching to become more fun because of the Colorado.
    As I began the update process, everything responded in a prompt and logical manner and I began to like our Colorado more and more !
    Thanks to all who helped with info and advice with this. I remember several of us sitting at a table at the Lake Catherine Event, and Wayne letting us use his laptop for online research on the topic.
    So, have you other Colorado owners had a similar experience ? And how do I get it to load hundreds of caches at a time ?

Can't you just do a pocket query for 500 caches around whatever area your going to cache and upload them?

You might try it with gsak and see if it do what you want with the Colorado. We know gsak works great with the smaller units, and you can select exactly what you want loaded into the Colorado, but I think it has to be gsak 7.5 or higher. Just curious, does it show the simple close box open box for found and unfound caches, or does it show a puzzle logo for puzzle caches and the other geocaching.com logo's they use on it's screen? If not, you can probably do that custom so you know exactly which caches are what at a glance.

I think I read on the http://garmincolorado.wikispaces.com/Geocaching#toc2 that is has a 200 .gpx file limit and 2000 geocache limit. So depending on the way you configure you can reach one limit before the other.

good luck and let us know if you get it to do what you want!

mountainborn Guest
    Right, I havn't tried that yet. So far just the "my Garmin" uploader on Garmin's web page.

I have the GPS in question and have basically been pleased with the ability to load 500 caches at a time and the ability for paperless caching. I have been extremely disappointed with the accuracy and do not depend on it for hiding caches (I use the old Bushnell I have for that) or searching for difficult caches. I'm still hoping updates help solve the accuracy problem. I use GSAK and have had no problem with the program and its compatibility with the GPS.

Just a note, thegpsstore does not even have the Colorado series on it's website anymore
    I would like to upgrade, but I think my next gps will be another 60CSx. Don't know about the touchscreen, accuracy and the problems with software...

I could be talking about a smartphone, but a dummy like me only needs a dumb phone.
    Just thinking about Christmas present for myself.
    I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world.
    Thomas A. Edison

Everything is gearing toward the Oregon now, the 550 and 550t seem nice, I played with one in May and it seemed pretty accurate, guess time will tell how they do in the long run, I am just waiting before I upgrade..

I noticed that Dell still has the Colorado 400t for sale on its site, but they want $599 for it, so no price break there. They also have several Oregons for the same price.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...9&sku=A1643713

drmo913 Guest
    I'm now I'm a little late to the 400t party, but I'm a retail manager by trade... busy time of year for us...

The 400t has been great for me. The reoccurring issue I've had has been the fact that it is slow to adjust from the car to the trail... but from what I've understand, all gps's have that problem from time to time.

If I had to upgrade, I would probably get the Oregon. Same paperless features with easier navigation.

My 2nd choice would be DeLorme's PN40.