Thread: Streets and Trips at 36,000 feet

Team_Pink Guest

Streets and Trips at 36,000 feet

Made a trip to LA over spring break. On the way back I had one of those, H-m-m-m, I wonder .....

I pulled out the laptop and USB GPSr, put the GPSr in the window and put the shade down. There we were, flying over California at 35,500 feet. Streets and Trips didn't like the speed though! It showed the altitude correctly but the speed hovered around 56 mph. To bad they didn't have a power outlet, I'd have watched it all the way home! It was really fun to zoom all the way in!

mountainborn Guest
    Is that cool, er' what ! We are going to give streets & trips a try. Just eBayed the 08' w/gpsr module. Thanks for the report.

Dentful1 Guest
    Well, we ain't got no streets and trips or anything fancy like that. BUT, we are going to California in June and I am going to have my Magellan 500 on the whole way there. At least I can get altitude and MPH data. I think that will please me just fine, except for the, there goes a cache, wait , there goes another. I wish planes were like buses, pull the cord and they will let you off. HAHA!!

One word of caution: check with the airline to make sure it is ok to have a GPSr on during flight.

I know that Delta allows it (at least according to their web site), but a couple of weeks ago, I made a trip to Salt Lake City on American Airlines and they announced on the flight that it was not allowed.

See this thread at GC.com for some interesting conversation on this topic...

Wayne
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

When we went to Orlando last summer I had just got my 60csx. I asked the flight attendant if it was OK and he said "sure" and he was as interested as I was. It was cool to see that we were flying 600-700 mph. I'm not sure if the altitude was right or not. I could see which state we were over and it was really interesting to see the route we took to get from LR to Atlanta. I was expecting a straight shot, but it really wasn't at all.

kittzle Guest
    I've flown Delta and American Airlines in the last year and neither allowed it... I forgot to ask United though, that was my overnight flight..... I slept through it, hehe.

Dentful1 Guest
    Flew out of Little Rock June 3rd through Denver on way to Sacramento. Still in Cali right now. The Magellan 500 was on the whole time and I have a track of where we flew as well as M.P.H. and Altitude data. The small Embraer 145 we flew on with United from Little Rock to Denver can move at 501 M.P.H. with an altitude of 38,000 feet. We dodged storms through Oklahoma which was worth it because of the great view of a B-2 Stealth bomber flying south just under us. The 737-300 from Denver to Sac was alright but not as fast as the trip from Little Rock to Denver. Note that we were VERY late (1 hour) leaving Little Rock and the pilot was trying to make up time to get to Denver. The flight from Denver to Sac was just a normal flight. The 737 is capable of flying higher and faster than the Embraer 145.

I did take a picture of the GPS screen with my cell phone when we got to 501MPH but by the time the phone got turned we had already dropped to 491MPH and it had an altitude of 29,582 feet at the time of the picture.

I will have another post when I get back to Arkansas and see if I can get this picture up. I have very limited computer time while here in Cali.

Dentful1 Guest
    Had a great trip to California. My GPS did a decent job. I had to leave the GPS up in the window to get a signal. My Magellan 500 does not have one of those fancy chips like the Garmin 60's. As for using the GPS with permission, I did not even ask. It is better to ask for forgiveness than for permission. I turned on the GPS while we were loading and held it down behind my leg while the flight attendant walked the aisle. I put it back up in the window when she past to keep signal. When the announcement was given for use of laptops and gaming devices I just left it up in the window with no fear. On the return trip my wife's brother joined us on the flight and he was very interested in the stats that the GPS was putting up on the screen. The return flight was assisted by a great tailwind from the upper jet stream. I did get some pics and I will post them as soon as I talk with Cachemates on how to do that. I forgot.

Dentful1 Guest
    Here are the pics. The first pic is me listening to Channel 9, which is a channel on your armrest to allow you to listen in on all the communications between the air control towers and the aircraft in the area. Notice the pretty girl, she got her looks from me.
    The second pic is a good one and the third pic is our top speed taken from my cell phone, I already put up the camera in the bag.

[img]

[/img]

[img][/img]

mountainborn Guest
    Very cool pix ! Thanks. I don't think my old Magellan Gold can do stuff like that !