Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clarksville Corps of Engineers Campground

mountainborn Guest

Clarksville Corps of Engineers Campground

We would like to take our small travel trailer to cache for a couple of days. Can any one give info on Corps campgrounds in the area ? How far from Clarksville, ect., ect..

There's Spadra Park, on the river, just a couple of miles south of Cacheville. Take Exit 58 (I think), Hwy 103, and go south. There are a few caches there and I believe they allow camping. You should email nonnipoppy, golfnutz, cfd10&tee, cfd29, rklmbl, or one of the other cachers in the area for more info, but I think that one is your best bet. -- ORR
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen

mountainborn Guest
    Thanks ORR, just brought up it's web site, 37 campsites with electricity.

Yo, MB. Taking our trailer to Spadra for the event. Downside, the Corps does not make reservations, but Sue, the campground "hostess" said there should be plenty of spaces for that weekend. I'm going to check in with her Monday or Tuesday of that week.

We went to find a couple of caches at this COE campground a while back. It was a VERY nice campground.

I'd really like to know where the picture was taken with the camper and the campground with the RATTLESNAKE sign? Oh Dear. I must call my friend and snake tosser, Mrs. CacheMates.

mountainborn Guest
    On Historic Old Route 66, in Mclean, Texas, last month. I went to see my mom in Mesa Arizona.
    Here is another one from Mclean. Can you remember when there were Phillips 66 Service Stations ? And they all looked like this:

>
    I kept expecting a man in a Fresh Phillips 66 uniform to wash my windows, all of them, pump my gas and ask if it was alright to check my oil !!
    NOT !! Those days are long gone.

DEEZER Guest

COE campground

Hey mountainborn,
    There's also the Piney Bay campground not far down the road from Cacheville. We stayed there last year for the event and loved it. I think it's about 10 miles out of town at the most. It seemed a little more appealing to me than Spadra CG. It's also just up the road a little ways from Flat Rock campground which is closed to camping, but has a whole bunch of caches there. Anyways, its a nice place & we enjoyed it.

GeoJeepers Guest
    We are planning to camp for the Cacheville event also. We were looking at Spadra because it's so close, but not being able to make a reservation really cramps Mrs. GeoJeepers style (she is SUCH THE PLANNER! ) so we may have to look at Piney Bay. Thanks!

Geezer_Veazey Guest
    I travelled I40 today and drove through the AUX ARC campground at Ozark. It is really nice. Lots of level sites on a flat campground and it is reservable. So if you are coming from the west you might want to drop your camper there. It's a little farther from Clarksville than Piney Bay, though.

Geezer