Thread: GSAK question

flannelman Guest

GSAK question

Does anyone know how to display the hint in the notes field in GSAK??

By default, GSAK displays the hint in the split screen. To get them into the hint field would require writing a macro to move them there.

Of course, a macro such as this may already exist. I would suggest you check or pose your question at gsak.net

flannelman Guest
    Thanks for the info. I'll let a know what I come up with.

If you wish to print a database view you have created, you can add a special tag to your printed page, one of those options is the hint (%hint). The hint is not a "display" option to add to your created view of the database. Been there with Clyde.
    Notes field is a different bird. If you make note to yourself about a cache in GSAK, you double click on that icon in your database view to retrieve the note at a later point. You don't see the contents of the note looking at the database view. A cool thing about notes is the log note. You can place your "log" note there and save it. Later when "wired," bring the note back up and hit the log button. It opens the log page (on GC,com) for that cache, click on found, then "tab" the cursor and hit paste. Your log note drops onto the page. This is the default. Clear as mud???

If you are referring to having the hint show up in the notes field on your GPS the way I have mine set up all you need to do is click on the send waypoints button. On the next popup screen toward the bottom there is a box labeled "waypoint description format. Just type %hint in this box and when you download the files to your gps the hint will show up in the notes field for each cache. Don't forget you can also edit any of the cache info in GSAK. For instance some caches do not have a hint but the description does tell what the container is so you can add that to the hint tab so it will be loaded to the gps. If you are wanting to add the hint to a printed list from GSAK I have not been able to figure that one out yet either.

IRBH. Check my note above about printing the hint.

flannelman Guest
    Thanks, I was looking for the hint in the printout. My GPSr won't take an info other than the waypoint and name. Thanks I'll see if I can get it to work.

Quote Originally Posted by flannelman
    Thanks, I was looking for the hint in the printout. My GPSr won't take an info other than the waypoint and name. Thanks I'll see if I can get it to work.
    Not sure what you mean by "printout" but if you're talking about the Grid columns in the print window, the hint will display in an additional column by using the "custom column" fields. Put a check in "print", HINT in the heading box, length (I use 50), and %hint in the "special tags" field. And you can put more than 1 special tag in there if needed.

If this wasn't what you meant, sorry.

RGS
    St. Louis