Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Boy Scout District Cache-o-ree

Boy Scout District Cache-o-ree

I'm in charge of the Foothills District (Conway, Faulkner, Perry, and Van Buren Counties) Camporee this year and it's going to be Geocaching themed. I want to call it a "Cache-o-ree". We expect up to 150 Scouts and it will be held at Blass Scout Reservation in Damascus. The dates are March 14-16.

I need the help of some cachers. I'm hoping I'll get some here. Still working out details, but here is some stuf I know I'll need:

I'll need help hiding temporary caches at the reservation on the weekend before the event.

I'd like some help teaching the Scouts how to use the GPS and the rules of geocaching and stuff like that.

I'd like some ideas for games or other activities we can do with the Scouts using compasses/gpsrs.

Normally all of the activites take place on Saturday. In the morning we'd break into small groups and have them go from station to station learning the skills they'll need for the afternoon competition.

On Saturday afternoon we'll pass out sets of coordinates to the Scouts and they'll spend the afternoon geocaching on the reservation. They'll bring back their finds and receive points for caches they bring back. The troop with the most points wins the event.

Thats the idea I'm working off of. I'd sure like to have some other geocachers to help out. Its a great opportunity to spread the word about our little game to and interested audience.

Tim Stone
    BSA534
    Scoutmaster
    Troop 534 - Conway

Count me in just send details I bet I can round up 2 or 3 more also just let me know. It could be Ozark Mtn Ghost, Mbell, TheCLB and myself.
    If your not living life on the edge your taking up too much space!!!!!!

I was thinking about going to the Caddo with everyone. I think this is a little more important than just grabbing a few caches. I will talk to you at Paris about it.
    I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world.
    Thomas A. Edison

Thanks for the support. I think we can introduce caching to a lot of eager scouters!

Does anyone have any contacts at Garmin or Magellan? It was suggested that they might be willing to loan a few gpsr units for the weekend. I'm a little concerned that a troop might not come because nobody in the unit has a gpsr. I could get one of the executives from the Quapaw Council to write a letter if I knew where to send it to get it on the right person's desk.

Tim

We would be glad to offer our assistance in this endeavor. You may want to check with your County Extension Service because there is something in the back of our minds that we think our local Johnson County ES has access to GPS's. Let us know what we can do to help.

Boy Scouts and geocaching. A great combination. I certainly would love to get in on this project. Please let me kinow what I can do to help.

HikerRon Guest
    count me in for this event. it's on my calendar.
    and i have an old Garmin Venture available for the scouts to use that day.

OK I think I have some more specific needs now. AR-HICK and I went out and scouted the area out and talked with the ranger.

The date is Saturday, March 15, 2008.

Needs:

Some gpsrs that the Scouts can use. I'm not looking for anything fancy, I'll get the batteries, I just need something they can enter coordinates into by hand and search for the caches.

Some people to teach the Scouts the rules of geocaching, show them sample caches and maybe some info about geocaching.com

Some folks to help show the Scouts how to use gpsrs. How to enter coordinates and how to use the units to search for something. If there are any simple learning games that would be good here.

Some people to help run the contest in the afternoon. Help us tally the scores for the patrols. Help patrols that are having problems using the gpsrs.

We can't hide caches until after the Sunday afternoon the week before the Cache-o-ree, so AR-HICK is planning on doing some hiding on some weekday mornings before he has to go to work. I'm sure he'd welcome some help if anyone is free then. He needs to hide 20-25 caches in the area.

Please let me know what you can/will do. I really appreciate all the offers of help.

Tim Stone
    BSA534
    (501) 269-7239 cell
    timdstone@gmail.com

We'll help with whatever is needed the most. Email sent.

I have a garmin etrex that I will loan for the occasion, I will also help AR-HICK hide some caches and I have a few ammo cans and tons of micros that I will donate as well, I will get AR-HICK on the hiding details, I am not sure if I can make it to the CACHE-O-REE due to my work schedule, if it turns out I'm off then I'll let you know and you can give me an assignment