Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Garmin 60CSX

bmwrider1 Guest

Garmin 60CSX

I just got this Garmin and City Navigator NT. Should I or can I download the whole map to my 2gig card so It is always available.

And how do I do this?

bmwrider1, Why not, you have it why not use it. I just built a map file with mine and it was 1622.3MB. That is US and Canda, I don't know about Mexico couldn't get it to put in the file. I do know it will take a while if you are going to put it in your GPS. I put 900MB in mine and it took about an hour.
    As far as how to do it, maptool highlight as much as you can. then you will have to send it to your gps. good luck.
    I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world.
    Thomas A. Edison

I've had the North America map files for a while, but I didn't have an expansion card, so I only have Arkansas and NE Texas. I ordered a card today and I want to put all of the states that touch Arkansas on there. I don't stray too far away from home, but if I do I can add other states as needed.

Wish I could save more waypoints with all that memory. Is there anything else you can use it for?

I'm probably about to buy a Garmin 60Csx and I know NOTHING about maps for a GPSr. Help!

What do I need and what do I do???

bmwrider1 Guest
    Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:40 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm probably about to buy a Garmin 60Csx and I no NOTHING about maps for a GPSr. Help!

What do I need and what do I do???

First off thanks guys for your help.

I guess it depends on what kind of map you want streets or topo. I have the City Navigator NT because if the highways and streets. I plan on the topo later.

I did get my maps downloaded to my card which is a 2 gig. I got this card from ebay I have tested it and it works .The Nt map is
    much better than the map that comes with the unit. It was not hard to get it working.

Well, I bought my 60csx and ordered the maps from Garmin about the same time (around $125 for North America Streets & Highways). I didn't buy it for geocaching, I didn't even know what that was at the time. I was about ready to put it on ebay when my maps finally arrived (4 months later). Once I installed the maps, my gpsr was transformed from a toy to a useful piece of equipment!

Once I discovered geocaching, the maps really came in handy, although on occasion they lead me astray!

Thats what I know about maps on the 60csx. There may be other options and hopefully someone can share those with both of us!

I would like to see how the TOPO maps are
    I have City Nav and it is very useful in places I have never been. I guess paris where do you plan on caching
    The TOPO has streets and roads on it, other than that I don't know how useful it would be in the city. Maybe someone could chime in and give us a review
    I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world.
    Thomas A. Edison

I run Garmin's TOPO on the 60 C/Sx. I'm not sure it is that much better that City Nav for caching. I use it while hiking and packing in CO and for out of the way caches there. When caching with Rhone, he using City Nav, we have our bases covered. Oh, occasionally there are roads on the TOPO that do not show on CN, but sometimes they turn out to be "dead ends." Lastly, I use DeLorme SA on the laptop with the GPS for larger urban areas to get a bigger picture of where I'm going and potential alternate routes.

Last week I received my Garmin GPS60Csx and I LOVE it!

I had originally thought about going all out for the new Colorado, but decided to wait a while. The 60csx is such a step up for me and I bought the City Navigator NT too and the mapping is great.

We will now be using our GPSr for caching and more.

bmwrider1 Guest
    Sometimes when I turn on my 60csx the maps do not load and I have to restart it a couple of times. I thought maybe the sd card was not seated but that does not seem to be the problem. Any Ideas?