Thread: There is an old saying about a bad penny, . . . .

mountainborn Guest

There is an old saying about a bad penny, . . . .

" A bad penny always seems to come back "
    Explaination:
    After a surgery and lots of Doctor visits, a bit over a year has passed. I have lost contact with many good friends that were made while geocaching, but somehow, have maintained contact with a few. They encourage us to get back into geocaching and we will. The sooner the better.
    My wife butcherknife has retired and I intend to work for another year, after which we willl be caching on a fixed income. We still have a quite dated PDA and a Magellan Gold that is very mature. We may need to update some of our equipment. We have a new wifi laptop, which should help.
    So, how about some advice, my fellow cachers, about how to go about getting up to speed and back into the game.
    New Software ?
    New equipment ?
    New subscriptions ?
    It will be like we are starting off from scratch all over again ! Your input will be appreciated.
    By way of old business, about four or five months ago I was looking at my caches and made a repair or two. I also discovered that I had logged a maintennance tour of the caches as finds. I corrected that and it put me back forty or fifty finds in statistics.
    I also found a note to myself to pay cachemates for some ammo cans. I think that I may still need to do that. While I am trying to get caught back up, help me to remember any other things such as that, please.

BACK .

We have missed you. It really is good to hear that you and butcherknife are getting back into geocaching. You have made a positive impact on the game in your part of the state and we appreciate your efforts. Hope we get the opportunity to meet on the trails again real soon.

cachemates Guest
    Mountainborn it is so good to see your name back on here. Some of my best geocaching adventures was with you in the Arkansas Outback.
    Glad you and Butcherknife are back. Don't feel like the Lone Ranger, We have always geocached on a fixed income. It has always been fixed waaay to low.
    Glad your back!!

The best thing it to with a bad penny is to keep it as a collector item.
    Welcome back Mountainborn, I used to read your post on the forums and it made my sides hurt . Thanks for your funny writing skills, even a bad penny is worth something.

As far as equipment Garmin 60CSx is about as good as it gets. I haven’t heard anything about the new Magellan Triton Series If you PDA battery will still hold a charge I don’t know if I would change it. I carry a Palm E2 and it works for me. Your new WI-FI laptop is way ahead of me that will be my next big purchase. Software I use GSAK and Cachemate (Not Jerry) I still don’t know everything that they will do but I have been kinda successful and can find a cache if someone ties a orange ribbon on it for me.

WELCOME BACK everyone has missed you
    I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world.
    Thomas A. Edison

Hey Mountainborn!

I am SOOO glad you're back! We've cached a bit in your neck of the woods over the last year and really enjoyed it. You've been an asset to geocaching in Arkansas and we are truly glad you've come back.

See ya on the trails!

topkitty98 & geo-j

mountainborn Guest
    Thanks TC98 ! We havn't got all of the bugs worked out of our gear yet. We had to manually enter caches in the gps today, and left the pda at home. But the laptop came in handy a couple of times. We are rusty and squeak badly when we move, but we are moving at last.
    EDIT: To add we found two FTF's and Two stf's today, squeaks and all !

Welcome back! I hope to get to meet you at some point in time in the future.

flannelman Guest
    I met you at an event a while back and hopefully will meet you again. I want to get over to your neck of the woods to cache this summer. Welcome Back!!

mountainborn Guest
    Thanks, you guys ! One of my brushy recreation area loop caches keeps getting stolen. I need a new location, some sharp eyed mountaineer now has three of our ammo cans and swag, ect..