Thread: Replacing another's cache

HikerRon Guest

Replacing another's cache

what would you do if you came to a cache location and it was obvious that the container was GONE, or damaged, etc. if you had a micro cache in your pocket at the time, would you replace the missing cache and notify the owner? or just notify the cache owner?

Ron, I have faced this situation several times and I know others have too. In most cases I have simply replaced the cache and notified the owner. I also have had others do my caches the same way and I always appreciate them for doing so. Most of the cachers that I know carry a "cache repair kit" with them that contains micros, logs, and other items that might be needed to get a cache back in shape.

I too have had a couple of my caches replaced for me, I appreciated it so very much, what irritates me the most is when I come across a cache that needs a little maintenance or replaced and I have nothing with me, I know there should always be a couple of micros in my pocket or man bag and so many times there is not, I am trying harder to be a better cacher and carry EVERYTHING I need

majii Guest
    I'm doing well to carry a pen and my GPSr when I'm caching, so I'd have some trouble replacing a cache even if I wanted to. I would also worry about altering the spirit of somebody's hide by replacing their cache. And there's always the possibility that I just didn't find the cache, and I don't want to make assumptions. Some may call that laziness, but I prefer to just notify the cache owner if I think something has gone awry with their cache.

that's a good thought too Majii, but I don't think anyone would say your lazy, I wouldn't replace one myself unless I KNEW it was gone, but I am actually lazy

Majii makes a good point and I would NEVER replace a cache just because I couldn't find it. The original post asked about caches that were obviously GONE. Of the ones that I have replaced, only on one did I not call the owner BEFORE replacing it. That one was a fake rock with a 35mm container. The rock was there, but the flim can was not. I did receive an email from the owner afterwards expressing his appreciation.

as a matter of a fact WoodWalker was the first person to contact me and let me know I had a cache missing and he replaced it on the spot, I never will forget how much I appreciated him doing that, he saved me all that time and gas, plus, his magnetic keyholder was much better than the original I had placed, THANKS AGAIN WOODWALKER

GeoJeepers Guest
    We always carry spare logs and bags, sometimes we have film cans too, but not always. I would be uncertain that it was really missing or I just couldn't find it - don't guess I know enough cache owners phone numbers to contact them first, but I guess I could call WW9, he's found them all already!

I did this once, I found a 35mm film canister with camo tape on it that had obviously been hit by a lawnmower. I was even able to locate a portion of the log. I had just bought some match containers so I put a new log along with the portion of the old log I found into the new container and placed it where I thought the old container might have been. I noticed that someone else found it a bit later so I guess it worked out fine. I was glad to give the cache new life. I emailed the owner, never heard back from him, but I guess it was OK as he also didn't yell at me

majii Guest
    Like GeoJeepers, I don't have enough phone numbers to contact the hiders of most caches I find (or don't find), so I would have a little bit of trouble contacting somebody before repairing/replacing their cache. If it was an obvious situation like one of the ones Woodwalker mentioned, I would probably replace the cache if I had the tools, and then I'd notify the owner about what I had done. You still want to be careful, though, or you might end up being the villain, like the person who replaced and relocated maddlove's Aquatic Trance http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...log=y&decrypt=
    I believe some of the logs from that cache have been deleted, but you can see in the logs where the cache was "hijacked" by somebody who probably thought they were doing the owner a favor.

I probably should carry a repair kit, like a good geocacher, but I haven't actually made one yet. Perhaps I'll do that before my next caching trip.