Thread: New, New, New

Rough2000 Guest

New, New, New

New to my PN-20,
    New to Geocashiing,
    New to this forum.

Looking for all the help I can get from you guys. I live in Hot Springs Village. Would like some suggestions on simple cashes near the area...you know, need to build up the confidence.

Thanks,

Bill

Welcome to the sport/game and welcome to the forum. I had to google PN-20 to learn that it was a GPSr. I am too use to seeing/hearing Garmin, Magellan and Lowrance.

If you are looking for easy caches to build your confidence my only suggestion is to look at the difficulty and terrain rating on the caches in the area you want to search and go search for those with low difficulty and terrain.

Good luck and have fun!

paris1time

I'm not very familiar with that area, but I do know that you aren't far from Glenwood and I know there are some great caches down that way. Looks like a lot in the Hot Springs area too, got to get down there again myself this summer. The more you find the better you'll get at it. Have fun!

HercMaster Guest
    Just got through looking at the screen shots of your PN-20. Pretty impressive! The topo maps are better than what you can load into the Garmin units, plus it's kind of cool to be able to display the "Google Earth"-type photo maps, in addition to the usual topo and street maps. I'm pretty familiar with Mt. Washington, and that PN-20 detailed display of the top, complete with the hiking trails, the road, and the cog railway line was impressive. The PN-20 would be VERY handy for hiking in the woods!

How about its Geocaching functions? Are they similar to what Garmin offers, like with the little treasure chest symbols for geocaches, and the "find next closest cache" function?

flannelman Guest
    Hi, I live bout 15 miles west of you in the Lena Landing area. I have several caches out here that aren't too bad and then a couple that may be considered tough. Quartzcachers is just North of Jessieville and they have some good caches out too. The Garland County Cemetary series is a good place to start too. There are quite a few qualiy caches in Hot Springs and on the South side of the lake. If you have an account at geocaching.com you can enter your zip code and pull up all of the caches in your area and then decide which ones to go for.

Cyas on the trails.

Rough2000 Guest
    "How about its Geocaching functions? Are they similar to what Garmin offers, like with the little treasure chest symbols for geocaches, and the "find next closest cache" function?
    I just received it this past week and am not familure with all of the PN-20's functions. It appears to have most of the functionally of some of the higher end Garvin unit. I went with the PN-20 as I already have several Delorme products. Most of the reviews I saw for the PN-20 were pretty good. It was a toss up between the PN-20 and the Garvin 60csx. I thought the Garvin Colorado looked good until I started reading about some of the problems new users were having with this unit. I sure Garvin will get the bugs worked out, but I didn't want to get frustrated while they were working on the problems.