Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which Hand Held GPS to Buy

jacksonb Guest
    While there are a lot of features to consider, one that may not be top of mind is what kind of batteries are used. There are pros and cons to a unit that uses AA vs. a unit that has its own rechargeable battery. Cost is a factor. The ability to change batteries while in the field is another.

I also own a Garmin 60CSx, I bought the preloaded streets mini card which will take me anywhere in the great USA, it has a 3D highway screen, turn by turn directions and even beeps at me when it's time to turn, the reception is the best and I also have the waypoint projection option, the cord I use to power my gps in the car also charges my cell phone, pda, digital camera's and blue tooth earbud, it also gives points of interest in each town, it has the little treasure chest symbol for caches and it opens the lid on the chest when you find the cache, I can set up all sorts of different waypoints with tons of different symbols, this unit is just awesome, I paid 625.00 and think it is well worth it to me, that includes the gps, preloaded mini card and next day air so I could get mine for my birthday before AR-HICK got his, WITH ALL THAT SAID, my first gps was a garmin Etrex that cost 89.00, I still have it and I can get a DNF with it just as fast as I can with my 60CSx

mdlangley Guest

To err is...well the story of my everyday life.

I just realized that I didn't post the web address of the deal above. I added an edit but incase you don't want to scroll up here it is again.

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?InvtId=EXPLORIST-400

The coupon code is EX400

Try the Nerds.com also for good deals.

HercMaster Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonb
    While there are a lot of features to consider, one that may not be top of mind is what kind of batteries are used. There are pros and cons to a unit that uses AA vs. a unit that has its own rechargeable battery. Cost is a factor. The ability to change batteries while in the field is another.
    The AA's are nice because of the field option you mentioned. Plus you can put rechargeable nickel-metal hydride AA's in them if you want rechargeable. If I shut the backlight off I can usually go a whole day of geocaching on 1 set of rechargeables.