Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Hand Held GPS to Buy

OGR81 Guest

Which Hand Held GPS to Buy

I'm trying to decide which unit to buy, for under $200. Compass, street maps, topo?? and will upload tp my PC

Wish I could be of more assistance. I'm only really familiar with my 60csx but that is more that $200 especially if you add maps to the basemap. I didn't really know what I was buying when I ordered mine. Have you looked at the Garmin Etrex Legend series?

Do you have some models you are considering?

jacksonb Guest
    I found this web site to be very helpful when reviewing GPS models.

http://gpstracklog.typepad.com/gps_tracklog/

Personally, I am a Garmin fan. My first GPSr was a Garmin eTrex Legend, which you can buy for less than $200. However, after geocaching for about a year, I upgraded to the Garmin 60CSx, which was about $350. I think it is well worth the extra money.

Q Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonb
    However, after geocaching for about a year, I upgraded to the Garmin 60CSx, which was about $350. I think it is well worth the extra money.
    Why??? I mean, whut do it do mo better or what are the features you needed?

jacksonb Guest
    Most significantly, the reception is much better with the SiRFstar III chip in urban areas and under dense cover. I could not get a signal inside my home with my eTrex Legend, but I get a very good signal in my home with my 60CSx. That is very helpful when geocaching in a canyon or under heavy tree cover.

The second feature I love is the electronic compass. With the eTrex, you only have an accurate bearing when you are moving. It doesn't point very accurately when you standing still. The electronic compass on the 60CSx gives you an accurate bearing even when you aren't moving.

Finally, there are a few nice bells and whistles. I wouldn't have bought it just for them, but they are nice. The 60CSx has a few features specifically designed for geocaching and the screen is in color.

Team_Pink Guest
    I was under the impression that the 60Csx had the SiRFstar II chipset. Is that not the case?

Re: Which Hand Held GPS to Buy

mdlangley Guest
    I just ordered my first GPS from this site. From the research I have done it is a good GPS and it is hard to beat the price. You might find one cheaper on eBay but I am a bit hesitant on ordering electronics off of eBay. If you use the coupon code EX400 when you order the total cost after shipping is $107.99. Hope this helps.

--Michael D. Langley

P.S.
    I ordered mine on Thursday (yesterday) late night (11ish) and it left San Diego at 4:51 on a FedEx truck today (Friday).

Edit: Whoops! I never posted the web address. That was dumb of me. Anyway, the code will still work until Jan 31st. Sorry about that.

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?InvtId=EXPLORIST-400

I was under the impression that the 60Csx had the SiRFstar II chipset.
    Everything I've read online says the 60CSx uses the SiRFstar III chipset. And if its on the internet its GOT to be true.

GeoJeepers Guest
    The Garmin website notes that the 60CS, 60CSX and the new ETREX H series all have high sensitivity receivers for better, faster, more accurate operation. The ETREX Summit HC is color, has the electronic compass, and I saw it end of last year on Wal-Mart.com for under $200. I'm not gonna say it is as good as the venerable 60CSX, plus it doesn't have as much memory as some others, but we have been very well pleased with ours. You might check out the Summit and the other ETREX H series models to see if there's one with a set of features you like best!