Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cemetaries in Nat'l Forest.

astrodav Guest

Cemetaries in Nat'l Forest.

This has probably been answered somewhere before. But does anyone know the rules for cemetaries located totally within the ONF? Do they require permits? Seems like, back when the rule for permits inside State Hwy ROW's was added, it was mentioned that historic cemetaries were exempt from permits. But I'm not sure. Anyone heard anything about this?

flannelman Guest
    I haven't heard but I'd be interested to know myself.

astrodav Guest
    You & I may be looking at the same one. It's in that very general area, but I ain't gonna say where, in case you haven't noticed it yet.

It is one which most definitely needs some visitors, to keep it's memory alive. A cache would do that well. But I'm 99.85% sure it's also surrounded by the ONF. There may be some tiny strip of land owned by private individuals or Wayerhauser adjoining it, but I don't think so. I don't have a plat book for any county but Yell, so can't see exactly who owns what.

But if it turns out to require permits for a situation like this, I'm not gonna mess with it. In that case, then I'll tell you which one I'm eyeballing. (It's not on 29

According to the Ozark NF a Cememtery in the national forest is a Hertiage Site and off limits to caches.
    Then I told them that it was at the edge (far corner post) of the cemetery and then she said that would be alright

I just don't think that it is going to be a good idea, but contact them and give it a tryit will not cost you anything more than a little time.

Don't just blow a bunch of hot air on the forums, put forth an Effort.
    I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world.
    Thomas A. Edison

astrodav Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by AR-HICK
    I just don't think that it is going to be a good idea, but contact them and give it a tryit will not cost you anything more than a little time.

Don't just blow a bunch of hot air on the forums, put forth an Effort.
    Just a typical cemetery cache like the hundreds more in the state, other than this one happens to be in a forest, rather than on the side of the highway. So not sure why it's not a good idea, as compared to all the others.

Have no ida what you are implying by the "hot air" remark. I asked a simple question, in hopes that perhaps another member already knew the answer. That's sorta one of the purposes of this forum. And most every cacher I know puts a good deal of effort into their geocaching. I suppose however that their could be some who believe that other's efforts aren't good enough to meet with their own high standards .... dunno.

But I myself sure would never imply that towards another cacher. But that's just me.

I shall further(ramble) explain myself and let me say that this is just MY opinion.

Cemeteries in the eyes of the government agencies are Heritage sites, they are restricted on how and what happens to those sites. Shall we say "Protected" by Federal Law and not open for much debate in the ONF.

The whole ONF is almost protected since they have made it do difficult to get permits for geocaches in them. If you don't understand what I mean, pick a spot and submit a permit to the Oauchita National Forest and see what happens, please follow the instructions and I am sure you will have a response within the next year or two (4 months, I think is the record).

If it is a private owned cemetery inside of the ONF property then it will just a matter of getting permission from the proper person. No big deal it will have some new and/or current graves in it and it will also be maintained.

The "Hot Air" statement was in bad taste, but I will not retract it. I have noticed that your rambling is posted on this forum quite often and some of it does not need to shared in public. I guess in my defense I just typed what was on my mind without thinking, maybe you should think before you hit the "Submit" button too.
    I should not have done that, I am sorry if I hurt your feelings.
    I am tired of Members saying a whole bunch and not doing anything, that is why I have almost quit saying anything.

This is my personal opinion.
    AR-HICK
    I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world.
    Thomas A. Edison

astrodav Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by AR-HICK
    I shall further(ramble) explain myself and let me say that this is just MY opinion........

......The "Hot Air" statement was in bad taste, but I will not retract it. I have noticed that your rambling is posted on this forum quite often and some of it does not need to shared in public. I guess in my defense I just typed what was on my mind without thinking, maybe you should think before you hit the "Submit" button too.
    I should not have done that, I am sorry if I hurt your feelings.
    I am tired of Members saying a whole bunch and not doing anything, that is why I have almost quit saying anything.

AR-HICK

I'm not going to comment any further on that, other than to say I don't believe insults, snide remarks, & insinuations need to be shared in public on this forum either.

And no, it takes ALOT more than that to hurt my feelings. It just makes me sad for the sport when one cacher commonly feels it's okay to disrespect other cachers.

Okay...now that that is over ....I say just try and get a permit from the ONF and see what they say...If you call them every day and check up on it they will eventually look at your e-mail (meaning they have not with my caches gone out and physically look at a site). They just pull their maps out and look and see if they see a potential impact to that area.

If they are curious about traffic, refer them to my three that are off hwy 27 that you found, they have been low traffic; meaning all three may be found once or twice a month.

I think the best action is to just send in the "packet" with the google map, their questionnaire thingy, your description of the area, and then I usually wrote the exact location of the cache by physical landmarks and if think there will be any detrimental impact (it helps to have Natural Resource graduate as your wife ). Then just call them every couple of days until you get your "letter/permit". PM me if you have any questions about the ONF...I have a few other numbers that may could help you.

Good Luck...Let us know how it goes!

astrodav Guest
    Thanks jclaudii .... good information. It's nice when cachers actually respect other cachers well enough to try to help out, as you did, rather than gong out of their way to constantly do the opposite. But thankfully, those type are very few.

Quote Originally Posted by astrodav
    Thanks jclaudii .... good information. It's nice when cachers actually respect other cachers well enough to try to help out, as you did, rather than gong out of their way to constantly do the opposite. But thankfully, those type are very few.
    You wrote //its nice when cachers actually respect other caches//ITS the → http://geocreed.info/ →→Be Considerate of Others
    Treat other geocachers civilly - in the field, in the forums, or wherever your paths may cross.