Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Boy Scout District Cache-o-ree

We'll be there.

HikerRon Guest
    Maybe Ar-Hick could post the coords for the 18 temp caches.....?
    then i could have my gps pre-loaded for the scouts.

Actually, thats part of the challenge, for them to learn to enter the coordinates in order to look for the caches. We've got the Garmin GPS 3 Plus units from 4H.

I'm planning on the geocachers running the classes on how to operate a gpsr. We can set 2 or 3 simple caches out nearby and let them try out their new skills.

Mike put one ammo box out in the open as a "gimmie" so that they can get an idea on how well their gpsrs are working.... Of course most of the caches are hidden in the woods, and these units don't appear to work that well under a canopy.

Tim

Anyone coming, be sure and get my phone # 269-7239 in case you need it!

HikerRon Guest
    just wondering....how many scouts will be attending? and what age group?

Not sure how many, I'd guess 50-100 maybe. These are Boy Scouts so they are 12-18 (6th grade & up). There will probably be more 12-15 year olds there.

I have the Garmin GPS III+ units in hand. If anyone is around Conway during the week and you want to take one of these units to familiarize yourself with it let me know. Just bring it on Saturday. You might also want to check out this link to the online manual for the unit:

http://www.gps.caltech.edu/gislab/equip ... Manual.pdf

The classes start at 9:00 a.m. I'm relying on the geocachers to teach the Scouts how to work the GPSrs. We'll have a couple of manuals on hand in case you run into problems. I'll be teaching a class on geocaching at the same time, so I may also need some help there if we have plenty of help teaching the GPSrs.

I'd suggest you get to the campsite around 8 so that we can get everything set up and you have time to familiarize yourself with the units.

I know of one Scoutmaster who was so excited about this event that he went out and bought an Etrex Legend and he told me tonight he has no idea what he's doing! He wants to learn so he can take his troop out to search for the caches in Fairfield Bay. So he'll be there looking for some help along with many others.

I'll try to have some signs up at the front of the camp area. If you get to the "Bowen Lodge" then you've gone too far!

Thanks to everyone who's going to help. It ought to be fun. And wait til you see the cool patches we designed. Everyone who helps should be able to get one!

HikerRon Guest
    Fun day today! Those kids are amazing. I enjoyed it a lot and hope to do it again next time. -Ron

Hikerron, you are so right. Those kids were amazing and very excited about learning about GPSrs. I really had a ball and appreciate BSA534 for putting this together.

We enjoyed being with Tim and the scouts and hikerron and Woodwalker and AR HICK yesterday. Hope this was a success for you.