Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Boy Scout District Cache-o-ree

I've got the day marked and will help in any way needed. I'll have a couple of GPSrs with me also. Looking forward to it.

Great news! I have secured 15 GPSrs from the U of Arkansas Extension office. Not sure what models these are. I'll post as soon as I know so that we can get familiar with them. It should be a lot easier to teach the Scouts if they are all using the same model GPSr.

Thats GREAT NEWS, one less thing to worry about.

Now how many caches do I have to hide?
    I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world.
    Thomas A. Edison

Just enough to keep 100+ scouts busy for a couple of hours

I like the idea of placing some questions in the caches as well. Those could be worth bonus points in the contest. I'll get some cards and questions printed up this week for the caches.

I may be able to assist. If ARHick needs some help hiding the caches, I could do that one day and possibly get there the weekend. Let me know how I can help...

The gpsrs are Garmin GPS3+ He said it was an older model but easy to use. Anyone familiar with these units?

The Cache-O-Ree is this weekend, March 15. The Scouts will be camping out Friday & Saturday night. Ar-Hick has the coordinates for the front gate of the camp and will be posting them later. He's been hard at work placing 18 temporary caches for the Scouts to search for this weekend.

I'm in need of cachers to help out on Saturday morning by showing the Scouts how to use the GPS units we have borrowed from the county extension office. They'll need to know about coordinates and how to enter them into the units and how to use the GPSr to search for caches. We're planning on getting started around 8:30 or so on Saturday morning.

I'll be teaching a course on the basics of Geocaching. I'd welcome any help with that also.

The training sessions will be over before noon. In the afternoon the Scouts will set out to find the caches Hick has placed. They'll bring their cards back and I'll tally their scores and determine which patrol wins the competitions. If anyone wants to hang around and help with that, you are more than welcome.

Please let me know if you have any questions or if you are going to try and make it out to the camp in Damascus.

Thanks!
    Tim Stone
    BSA534

HikerRon Guest
    i'll be there bright and early, with 2 GPSrs. i'm willing to help out in any way you want. will need those coords to the gate though.

I will be there unless something breaks between now and then. Really looking forward to it.

Take 285 west in Damascus off Hwy 65, follow the Gus Blass BSA Reservation signs to the gate. Pretty easy
    Here are the coords to the camping area:
    North 35 22.102
    West 92 27.265

I will be there till noon and maybe later work permiting. Let me know if you need more directions for those of you coming from the west.
    I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world.
    Thomas A. Edison