Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: "Cachin' On The Caddo" Float Trip

What time are other central Ark folks leaving to get down to Glenwood for this event? I've been there before, but I came up from Ashdown so I'm not sure how long it will take to get there from Conway. Is the best way to go down I-30 and take the Hot Springs exit?

Thanks!

That is the fastest way. Glenwood is 30 minutes from Hot Springs about depending on how you drive. I have not made up my mind how I am going down yet. See you there!
    I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world.
    Thomas A. Edison

HikerRon Guest
    i'm leaving LR about 630am. hope to be at the event around 8am.

Dentful1 Guest
    AS OF 1:15 P.M. UPDATE

I know the Float Trip has been officially postponed, BUT, the river is dropping faster than first thought. The river is at 7.23 feet, which is below Flood Stage. The Canoe Outfitters are now renting canoes. During high waters,above 8 feet, the rentals will not take anybody out due to liability. The water is now a "pretty green" instead of brown. I know a few has made comments about floating even if it is not at 6 feet or below.

See you guys in the morning, looks like the weather is going to cooperate this time, we will be searching for caches on land though..

Dentful1 Guest
    Well, what to say. The river was still on the high side for many of our cachers. I had the opportunity to help rescue a couple that have fallen victim to the river while we were on our way back from Caddo Cliff. The guy lost his shoes so I gave him mine to where for the half mile walk to the highway, I had my chest waders on so I could help get the conoe out from "under" the river. Look at your calendars and lets try to get something going later on. SJClimber was really wanting to firm up a date. HikerRon is also wanting to know when. This is hard to get a date on, today was a good example of that with the foul weather rains we had this week. Let's get out of the rainy months and BEFORE the schools let out. The river is packed during the summer. Lets get some suggestions and everybody can see on this thread and comment on it.

Team Panda Guest
    Man, I've really got to remember to visit the forums more often.

I had no idea the event we attended was so different from the event which was planned but it didn't matter, we had an absolute ball anyway!

Still, if y'all decide you want to make another attempt at doing this as an event, please don't even think about going without the Pandas! After all, there's still one out there we had to DNF and I've got to get it some time or other, might as well do it as part of a mass attack.

When we did the series last year, we knew full well the water was too low but the chance to get that many FTFs over-rode our common sense by a wide margin. (Ask Quartzcachers how this happens!)

I just checked and we did that run on July 26th which is the latest in the year we've ever rode the Caddo and yeah, we did a LOT of dragging and the rocks were awful big in the rapids but still, a couple of fat old pandas made it.

Honestly, I think any attempt made before the 4th of July would be okay. At least I'd be willing to go that late! (The water would be a LOT warmer too!)

We've got the big events down at Lake Catherine on Memorial Day so that kind of ties up the last half of May, first half of June, but there's nothing going on locally in April and the water should still be high enough to make for a FLOAT rather than a DRAG. (Weight limits depending, pandas displace a lot of water!)

What do you think about the last Saturday in April?

Also, if it's going to be an event, I'd like to suggest doing lunch on a gravel bar somewhere along the way. Mrs. Panda and I have had great success over the years using those little disposable, one use, charcoal grills out on the river. We just take hotdogs or burger with us, find a nice gravel bar, fire up the grill and have a nice lunch with all the fixins, then when it's over, toss the grill in the water to extinguish the fire, retrieve it, toss it in the litter bag, and head on down the river fat, dumb, and happy!

Btw, earlier time estimates for a normal float on the Caddo of about 3-4 hours are about right. In fact, if you're just floating the river, it's very difficult to make the trip last longer even if you want to.

Add 11 caches, a whole group of cachers and a flotilla of canoes and you're probably looking at a full day, "dawn-to-dusk, can-see-to-can't-see" caching adventure.

DON'T THAT SOUND AWESOME???

I wouldn't miss it for anything!

Dentful, please shoot me an email if you want to pursue this, maybe we can put our heads together and come up with some sort of plan that will be workable for everybody. I'm willing to help out any way I can to make it happen!

Dentful1 Guest
    I am in the process of getting a calendar together with the dates of events on them and the dates that I will have to work on a Saturday along with a wedding that I must attend and a 2 week vacation planned and a ....., and a ......, and a......., and a........ Did you catch that. The white bass and the hybrid bass are getting in my way of doing this any faster.

Keep your eyes locked on this forum for updates. Hey SJClimber and HikerRon, any suggestions on dates that you will be in Arkcansaw?

Float

First Arron, thanks for putting the event together. It was nice to meet everyone, enjoy the park, morning and caching experience. I should be in Arkansas to mid-May then heading west for the summer. I'll keep an eye to the forum and the weather. River was looking nice Monday when I went towards Crystal Park. Keep us posted. SJC

Dentful1 Guest
    These are all the Saturday Events Posted as of now.

Clarksville or Cacheville April 19
    Piney Great American CITO April 26
    Burns Park Bash April 26

WWFM Big Dam Bridge May 10

ArkGeo Social/CITO May 31
    Lake Catherine June 1

May would be best for warmer temps and warmer water temps. I am waiting on word of when the SWANA Road-e-o is that I compete in every year. It is usually held the 1st or 2nd Saturday of May. That more or less puts us at a May 17 or 24 float.

Team Panda was looking at the last Saturday in April but that is the Burns Park Bash. No matter when we go it will get in my way of fishing. I will have to be put on meds to pry myself from my pole during the next 2 and a half months. There is just something about hauling in a Hybrid Bass that averages 5 lbs that gets me.