Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: "Cachin' On The Caddo" Float Trip

Dentful1 Guest
    For all to see. This is how the "Event" was wrote up. I may have done it wrong. I should have spiced it up a bit and maybe put my wifes perfume on the envelope. I could have done something like meet and greet at Sonic for breakfast, and oh, if you would like to join some of the cachers we will be floating the Caddo River for a little CITO time.

This was copied right off of the denied listing.

A meet and get wet event floating the beautiful Caddo River.

This CITO Event will take place in Glenwood, Arkansas. We will float a 7.2 mile stretch of the Caddo River.

8:00 am Register at Rental Office at coordinates above.

8:45 am Meet below Office on River to load up buses.

We will be getting on the River about 9:00 am to begin our adventure. This float will take the biggest part of the day (5-7 hours) depending on water levels and how many times we stop. You will need to bring DRY clothes to leave in your vehicle. You WILL get wet, bring towels in a dry bag or trash bag zip tied. This is March and the water is still cool. You may want to bring snacks and drinks in a cooler. I will furnish large contractor bags to put trash in. If we get 5 or more canoes you can purchase your rental at the Group Rate of $30 per canoe. Kayaks are $25. If you have a canoe and want the Rental to shuttle your canoe they will for a small fee.

We will get what trash we can get a hold of, might be a little difficult in a canoe. The Rental does have a cleanup float in July, so the River should not be in to bad of shape.

Bring your GPSr, there are a few caches along this float for those who wish to find.

After the float we can gather at the Fish Nest.

See you on the River.

Additional Hints ( Encrypt )

Decryption Key
    A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M
    -------------------------
    N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z
    (letter above equals below,
    and vice versa)

Bring extra DRY clothes!!!!

Dentful,
    I would have presented it just the way you did. That is what I thought an "Event" was, but apparently you've got to use certain wording in order to get it approved. Who knows, it was worth a shot. I sure hope we can make it down, it sounds like a lot of fun. Haven't floated the Caddo since I was a Tenderfoot Scout!

Tim

Puzzled

Man, sure looks like a CITO to me. Unless I'm missing something. Wonder what the complaint could have been??

Dentful1 Guest
    I am sure Chuck Walla won't mind me posting our conversation. It will educate us all on the Right way of doing Events.

Remember, I have to agree with C.W. on this particular Event Denial. I did do things wrong and I did learn how to do it right, we all have to start somewhere.

January 19 by Chuck Walla (0 found)
    This event listing is denied for the following reasons:

1) Although the listing is classified as a CITO event, it is really a gathering organized for cache hunting and disguised as a CITO, based upon the information posted in the Arkansas Geocachers Association forum. This is not allowed by Geocaching.com’s Cache Listing Requirements – Guidelines, which state: “…In addition, an event cache should not be set up for the sole purpose of drawing together cachers for an organized hunt of another cache or caches. Such group hunts are best organized using the forums or an email distribution list.”

2) Although the listing doesn’t explicitly list the name of the canoe rental place where the cachers are to meet, the listing is still considered commercial in nature, due to the following: “register at rental office”, “meet below office at river to load up buses”, and the discussion of rental fees. Again, this is not allowed by Geocaching.com’s Cache Listing Requirements – Guidelines, which state: “Commercial caches attempt to use the Geocaching.com web site cache reporting tool directly or indirectly (intentionally or non-intentionally) to solicit customers through a Geocaching.com listing. These are NOT permitted. Examples include for-profit locations that require an entrance fee, or locations that sell products or services. If the finder is required to go inside the business, interact with employees, and/or purchase a product or service, then the cache is presumed to be commercial.”

If you feel that this decision is unjust, you have the right to appeal it. If you choose to do so, send an e-mail with complete details, waypoint name (GC****) and a link to the cache, to Groundspeak’s special address for this purpose: appeals@geocaching.com.

Chuck Walla
    Geocaching.com Volunteer Cache Reviewer
    -

WHAT THE ???????????. I thought all EVENTS were set up for a gathering of cachers to go caching together and I know of a few EVENTS that give the NAME of the establishment, rules, rules, rules.

Interesting denial letter. I can see her first point to some extent, but her second is a misinterpretation of the guideline possibly, if she considers the event (site) as a cache. There is no cache at the place of business, but the event could be considered a "cache." In this instance, we would be gathering at the rental place (like Ryan's for breakfast). One is not required to use their services. If you have a canoe and a vehicle you would be in business. Oh well, I guess we need to be real cautious and rethink our submissions for sites/events, etc.. I have two I wish to place and will likely have an "old pro" evaluate the request before submission...

Ronbo Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dentful1

This float trip will still go on. HOWEVER, the Event has been DENIED. No Event smileys or stars on your record for this one, but you can log a bunch of caches.

THE FLOAT IS STILL PLANNED FOR MARCH 22!!
    Hey Aaron,
    Thanks for the personal email about the event. I would suggest submitting a Breakfast Eat and Greet before the trip. The reason you had a hard time finding me was my trail name changed since I joined this site and I've tried several times to get the web contact to change it. No luck so far.

Ronbo

Dentful1 Guest
    Be looking for a few minor TIME changes to our float trip. It will be on the News page.

Dentful1 Guest
    9:00am Register at Rental Office
    9:45am Meet below office on river to load up.

Had to make changes for an Event scheduled for the same day.