Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: "Cachin' On The Caddo" Float Trip

Dentful1 Guest
    Checked on cache #2 and the big flood took it to Lake DeGrey. I replaced that one and it is ready. Checked on # 8 and it is still there. I will check on the rest as I get time. I am sure that those are O.K. They were high enough not to be flooded out.

Now I'm having a problem with the date! One of my scouts informed me that he's doing his Eagle Scout project at Camp Robinson that day. I'm hoping it gets changed as I really need to be there for it! Hopefully it will get postponed.

I'm out dawg! Mrs.Q (yes she really does exist) has some college graduation thingy or another going on that day, and she says if she has to be there, I have to be there. Oh well, y'all have a great time!
    Guess what?! I got a fever, and the only prescription...is more cowbell!!

majii Guest
    As it turns out, I won't be able to make it either. I had forgotten that I'm on-call that weekend, so I probably shouldn't be inaccessible...

Dentful1 Guest
    Canoe Trip is still a "GO" as of right now. The river is low but rain is to move in mid week and hopefully will get the river to rise a little. I have made contact with a few of those that were really interested in going this time and I have now set a time.

9:30 am Meet below rental office (close to Coords for # 11 cache)

We will try to be on the river by 10:00 am and hopefully it will only take 4-5 hours. (This all depends on how fast you are and how much water you displace)

Here is the Website for the rental company of choice.
    http://www.caddoriver.com/

Team Panda Guest
    Hey Aaron,

I hate to do it, but I've got to cancel for tomorrow. Some unexpected and fairly considerable business expenses come up and my discretionary funds are running pretty tight this month.

When you get to Cache #6, be sure to take a canoe paddle or something long and heavy up there to check for THE SNAKE. A shotgun might not be a bad idea either, but I can't really see y'all floating down the river armed to storm the beach.

Y'all have fun, it should be a beautiful day for it and it's killing me to miss it.

I'll be looking forward to reading your logs!

Dentful1 Guest
    SUCCESS!!!!!!
    What a great trip today. SJClimber and Rhone joined me on a successful float trip on the Caddo River to find the "Cachin' On The Caddo Series." The river was full of Boyscouts from around the Texarkana area and there were also a fair amount of drunks also.
    The trip took 4 hours and the river was at a perfect level at 5.90 feet. The river was a little cool but not bad if you didn't flip over. We were very professional today and stayed dry. There was plenty of entertainment with all the drunks flipping over in the rapids. At one corner the river was very swift and took you right under a leaning tree and if you did not manuver properly you would flip. The Boyscouts decided to stop there and help each other out retrieving all the gear and getting canoes up on shore and empty the water out. They were there a while as one after another went belly up.
    I did kill a snake on the very first cache. A 2 1/2 foot Cotton Mouth. I grabbed a half dollar sized Red Ear Slider turtle for my wife. We have two at the house in a forty gallon tank. I found two arrowheads while walking to a couple of caches. The river did change a little since the Great Flood and I am going to have to add a note to one of the caches that you have to walk a ways to get to it because the river now goes left. I wore a "wife beater" and I got home and took it off and I look like I still have it on.

If any cacher would like to go late in the summer just write some input in this thread. The water then would be very warm and the river will be WAY down. Hopefully we can get a trip right after a rain. I will probably go again late in the summer. If any of you want to go now don't wait on me, just go on and have a good time.

Our trip with Aaron was as described; a fantastic day, despite the reptiles and crazy humans. Actually, they were comic relief. Sometimes watching members of our species in action makes me wonder how we got this far. Whew.

Well, you folks need to do this series. Besides a wonderful venue, Aaron has done a bang-up job of hiding the caches and spent time and $$$ to set this up for our enjoyment. My hat's off to him for the energy spent..