Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Rehash old subject.

A couple of years ago I had an out of state cacher that found a couple of my caches that I had hidden in Little Rock and all he put on the log was a period (.) I emailed him and he said he just did not have time to write anything but wanted to get them logged so he would not forget which ones he found. About a week later he had edited them and wrote a few sentences on each one. I really have not thought too much about this issue over the years but after reading more of this thread I totally agree that it is just a courtesy that should be practiced to repay the cache hider for their efforts. I don't recall copying and pasting in the past but if I did I am truly sorry and it will never happen again. I will copy and paste certain sentences and then add a little info for each individual cache. I will try and be a better Log Writer in the future. My average log length is 44 words and my longest log ever was 495 words.

"Even if something is left undone, everyone must take time to sit still and watch the leaves turn."
    - Elizabeth Lawrence

Was browsing the logs on a cache just now and came across this one. It was written in the on-line log of a Wal-Mart LPC cache. The cacher has well over 600 finds. Its quite simple, but more than enough, I think, to satisfy most cache owners.

I was out geocaching, with my friend Don Ellis, after church and dinner on a Sunday afternoon, when I found this one. I like these P&Gs and trying to stay stealthy. Everything was in good shape. TNLN SL

flannelman Guest
    I never copy and paste logs and I never will.

Even on the lamest of lame caches I write something even if I have to lie through my teeth. I never copy and paste logs and I never will. I love to read the logs from my caches, well the online ones anyway. I don't care what ya write in the paper log just as long as ya log it with something that will identify that you were there. I never copy and paste logs and I never will. Anyway, if I ever get to cache again I'll be ready to write away whatever I may see or dream up on my head, but I never copy and paste logs and I never will.

See new topic on removal of additional logging requirement (ALR) caches.

Chuck Walla
    Geocaching.com Volunteer Cache Reviewer
    "Volunteering is for suckers. Did you know that volunteers don't even get paid for the stuff they do?" -- Homer Simpson

I think everyone knows how I feel now.
    Hick as to do some serious thinking about this.
    Feel free to submit your feelings on this matter.
    My true feelings cannot be put on this Forum.

Ar-Hick
    I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world.
    Thomas A. Edison

Hick, I am like you, in that I love getting a nice log for my efforts in placing caches. With all the effort you go to, in creating and placing caches, you should always get great logs for them. I have come to the conclusion, however, that there are a lot of self centered and selfish people out there, who don't care anything about the person who placed these caches. I think they just believe that the Big Giant Head or some other entity placed these, and that they can just complain or write whatever they want to, or don't want to.
    Here is the deal the way I see it. If we demand, with the threat of log deletion, for someone to write something that they don't really feel, then we don't know someones true feelings or experience with our cache. When someone writes up something that pleases us, and it comes because they WANTED to say it, then I really feel good about that, and that person. It doesn't have to be a big, long winded log always, although that is nice sometimes. A few of the right words, can be just fine for me.
    In short, I cherish the people who take the time and care to write something nice on my cache pages, and I don't have time for those who don't.
    Just my two cents worth dude.
    Guess what?! I got a fever, and the only prescription...is more cowbell!!

I agree that it is nice to come home and have several nice logs to read about your hides. I know you have asked me about it before, QC, but some people are NOT happy with anything you hide or how you hid it- regardless. Yes it is aggravating , and yes I have considered before (after a couple of comments on my caches that were negative) to just disable them all . BUT, when you receive kind words from people about your hides, especially those people who really know good hides, those with 1000 or 2000 or more hides, you really feel good and WANT to hide more . I can honestly say that before the event in El Dorado in February that I was to the point of archiving all my caches due to a negative "finder" in the area that always has something negative to say about everything. But when I had over 300 emails when you guys left with positive things and praise for my caches it inspired me to hide more and more and I have more to hide still yet. I just have to consider the source I guess. My experience also is that the people who are most critical of your hides have not hidden any or just a few caches. Thanks- I feel better now.

This is one of those "letter of the law" vs. "spirit of the law" circumstances. Sure, I'd much rather read a log written by someone who enjoyed themselves and is writing to share their experience. However, I also realize that, even though you would like to, you simply cannot force this. In other words, while you can make someone obey the "letter" of the rule, you can't make them like it.

The way I look at it is that if a cacher is only writing a long log (or ANY log for that matter) only to get the smiley, I'd probably rather not read it anyways...

Just my $.02

Wayne
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

flannelman Guest
    I really don't like cut and paste or TFTC only logs. I hide caches in areas that are interesting or in intersting ways and I'd like to see how the finder liked the area or find. I don't delete their logs but you can bet I won't be too worried about it when they complain or need help finding a cache. If you don't care enough about the hunt to write a good log then I don't care about helping you get a smilie. I might just start doing away with hints on my caches and make everyone earn that smilie.