Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rehash old subject.

Personally I find that as I've placed more caches and read more of their finders' logs that I put a lot more thought into the logs I write for the caches I find.

I don't have too many power caching days but I still log everything into my PDA and when I get home and actually visit the cache page it usually jogs my memory about the cache and I try to put some thought into writing the log. I also like to thank the cache owner for placing the cache and bringing me to a new location.

here's what AR-HICK said, " Writing a good log will not make you a better cacher, but it might give you more respect from other cachers"

I still hate copy and pasted logs
    A find is a find, and I shall turn the other cheek and try to be a better cacher and a better writer of logs myself. "
    I definately turned the other cheek this morning when I got about 25 emails that said the same thing ( I assume), after about 7 or 8 of the same exact thing I just started deleting, WITH GEOFROG AS MY WITNESS I SHALL NEVER COPY AND PASTE A LOG UNLESS I OWE YOU ONE

Please for give me for I have sinned. I copy and pasted some logs.
    OK, I owed the cache owner.
    Does this make it right no, will I do it again maybe.
    This subject has needed to be revised. He is little information if you don’t already know it.

I DON’T LIKE COPY AND PASTED LOGS!

I am starting to think that it is poor taste on the part of cachers who make this a common practice.

If you are a newbie please think about it.
    1. I went to time and effort to place a cache for your enjoyment.
    2. The only enjoyment I receive in return is YOUR log.
    3. Is the cache page funny?
    4. Do you know how to read? (Writing a good log will not make you a better cacher, but it might give you more respect from other cachers)
    5. Are you capable of more than one thought at a time? (breathing counts)
    6. “Logging by phone using Trimble software” What are you thinking? All you
    are doing is advertising…
    (I have decided to keep the rest of this thought to myself.)

If you are
    COPY
    and PASTING logs please quit. It does not show how much you like the cache or the area it was hidden. Tell me of your adventures, did someone stub their toe? Did an old man walking a dog give you a strange look?
    I am not expecting to read essays on caching, but it would be nice to here about the laugh you got when you found a surprise (did you step in something left behind by an animal) or a cache.
    I know that several cache hiders feel the same way and it show that you enjoyed and put forth an effort to thank them for finding there cache.
    I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world.
    Thomas A. Edison

Hick, I couldn't agree more! If I find one or if I find one hundred, I refuse to copy and paste! It may take me four days to log all of them (and it often does). I find that folks appreciate a nice log and will remember you and what you wrote, more often than you think.
    In the Hot Springs area, I get a lot of copy and paste, I guess, because it is such a tourist area. People, I think, don't feel the need to do anything but TFTC or something similar, when they are out of their home area. Yes, it always nice that someone found my cache, but I know good and well, that if it didn't make that number beside their name go up, they wouldn't take the time to aknowledge it at all! I feel a little taken advantage of sometimes. Oh well, I guess it is still worth it when I get a nice one from someone occasionally, but I think Hick is right on here.
    Guess what?! I got a fever, and the only prescription...is more cowbell!!

HikerRon Guest
    get over it. the world these days revolves on cut & paste. i do it sometimes myself after a big # of finds. heck, on those days i cant even remember half the caches i'm logging
    yes, you have the right to delete it, but i dont think you should.
    they found it, they get to log it. regardless of what they write in the log.
    i think an email to the finder before you delete it would be the correct course of action.
    i get suspicious logs too.....like 'found six months ago and just now logging'. but i
    'm not gonna rush out there and check to see if they signed the log 6 months ago. usually, when i replace a logbook i dont even read it. unless it's a regular sized logbook.
    the whole sport is based on honesty. there's nothing to prevent someone from just sitting down and logging all of 'em.
    but i'm getting off topic arent i?

"Found using Garmin' GPSMap 60CSx with coordinates downloaded from the Geocaching Swiss Army Knife into a Palm TX and logged using Mozilla Firefox on Dell's Inspiron 1505E and a wireless Logitech Laser Mouse while sitting on a Sofa Mart couch - TFTC"

As far as deleting a log, because I don't like it, I wouldn't do that. I would feel a little cheated and shortchanged, but I wouldn't delete it. I would just wait till someone else who writes up something nice comes along and enjoy that. I know I shouldn't, but I think a little less of someone when I go to my inbox, and there are ten or twenty logs that all say the exact same thing. I would delete them from my inbox without reading more than a couple, but not the cache page.
    On a related matter, I got a suspicious found it notice on my favorite cache. My signature cache, if you will. It is called "Shame On Me". Usually I get some nice comments on it. Last week, I got one that said: found this on as a test for my new gps. That kinda made me think that this person didn't really find it. When I checked the log, nope. Not signed. This may be the first one I delete. I have sent an E-mail to this cacher, asking for a description, but I'll bet I won't get an accurate one. Any advice from anyone else with experience on this? Technically, I feel that I am right on this, but I wonder if I should just let it go.
    Guess what?! I got a fever, and the only prescription...is more cowbell!!

I know that many may disagree but AR-HICK is 100% right. Your online log is the reward for the cache owner for his/her/their time and effort undertaken in hiding said cache.

I doubt there are any among us who, after hiding their first cache, would be jumping for joy after reading TFTC in their email notification. After time you get used to it but it still leaves you feeling like you were cheated in some way or that maybe your cache just wasn't that good.

Writing an online log isn't hard. The reason logbooks exist at all is to share your experience with the cache owner and other geocachers. Are you new to the game and had a hard time finding it? Maybe you spotted it a mile away. Was it clever? Did the weather hamper your efforts or add to a good day? Even if you're out "powercaching" and found so many you can't remember diddly-squat about the cache. Say something about your day. Did you reach your goal? If not why? How many did you find? Were you alone? Was this your first visit to the area and what drew you here?

From what I've read about geocaching in the beginning the game was played much differently. The game has changed with better technology and will likely continue to do so in the future. Irregardless of how easy it is to download caches and even log them remotely, the best thing about this game is and has always been the community. This game started from a community of GPS enthusiasts and one guy with a crazy idea. It revolves around the community, not cut and paste logs.

So take a minute to tell us about your adventure. Share your successes and failures with us. The smiles you collect may not show in your profile, but they'll be on the face of every other member of this community.

EONavigator wrote
    So take a minute to tell us about your adventure. Share your successes and failures with us. The smiles you collect may not show in your profile, but they'll be on the face of every other member of this community.
    AMEN
    Thanks for a good post, I was begining to think I was alone on this.

Is it OK if you make your adventure a little bigger than it actually was?
    I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world.
    Thomas A. Edison

I've learned a lot from reading logs from good log writers like AR-Hick and RKLMBL and many others. I don't expect much from a tram-law or simple p&g but I do like to read more when its a cache that requires some real effort to obtain. Seems to me some of the best log writers are those that have quite a few hides as well.