Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rehash old subject.

cachemates Guest
    Over the Thanksgiving Holiday we went on a caching trip with rklmbl and woodwalker9 to the Tulsa area. One of the caches we found there (GCQ6PP) required you to write a interesting log or it would be deleted.

I have noticed at least one log deleted since we found it. You are told on the cache page what to expect if you do not follow the rules set by the cache owner. That is one way to got away from the TFTC logs.

We found over 100 caches on that trip and it took me over a week to get them all logged. It is hard sometimes to think of something to say for flim can that is not very well hidden, but still that cache owner deserves better than TFTC. In my opinion.

If it wasn't for the excellent notes that mbl and mrs cachemates write at each cache, I would never be able to remember each and every cache three day later. Keeping notes is the key for me.

Everyone does it their own way. We do too.

Geezer_Veazey Guest
    I certainly agree that personalized logs are much more interesting and desirable than cut and paste logs. But look at it like this. Turn it around and ask yourself would you be happy if one of your logs was deleted because of an owners quirky personal preference. Suppose you didn't jump up and yell "Whoopie, I found it!" Would you want your log deleted? Suppose an owner had this thing about staying on the trail and not taking shortcuts. Would you want your log deleted.

Like ORR said, put it out there and let it go. Get back to basics. The object is to find. The log itself is not the object of the game.

Rather than fret about the cut and paste logs, spend more time on the more interesting logs. Send the cacher an email saying how much you appreciate their log. Many of them will respond with even more information or want to talk about some other subject. You soon will have email conversations going with people you have never met, and will not have time to mess with the one-liners.

End of sermon. I'm off my soap-box. I'm soon going to be looking for that "barnyard" cache. My imagination is running wild. Have a nice day.

Some of my cache hides are only PNG's and I know it and in some of my descriptions I say it is only a PNG. I don't expect anything more than a TFTC in the logs.

Even if I hide an ammo can with several dollars worth of swag and a well thought out hiding spot I am grateful for the cachers effort in looking and only a TFTC and whether they took or left something is ok with me.

However, it is very nice and an added bonus if someone does appreciate the effort and expense of hiding a cache and expresses that in there logs. I try to tell a little about my experience in finding certain caches and very much love to read about the other cachers experience in finding mine, but sometimes there is nothing to say except TFTC.

I personally would never delete a log simply because the finder is not eloguent in his/her logs. I appreciate every cacher who takes the time to look for one of my caches.

This is my Geocaching pet peeve. There's nothing worse than a TFTC except maybe "#32 of 65 for the day". Generally, these type logs are from out of towners who are just in it for the numbers. I've thought about deleting logs myself, but like everyone says, it will just make them mad and won't really solve anything. It's not like they are going to change their evil ways and start writing essays.

I had a log deleted once myself. It was a Locationless Cache, back when they were still allowed, for a Confederate Soldier's Grave. I took a picture with my GPS and wrote a little bit about it. A month or so later, I got an email saying my log was deleted. No email from owner explaining why. When I emailed him and asked him why he said the cache page required that I be in the picture with the head stone and my GPS. I tried to explain that it was cold and rainy and even offered to send a picture of myself separately. He was adamant that it was his cache and his rules and he could delete it if he wanted. He also said he's deleted many logs and has been called every name in the book, including Cache Nazi, and that there wasn't anything I could do to phase him.

Needless to say, that left a bitter taste in my mouth. I would much rather live with some thoughtless logs than be anything like that guy. A By-The -Way to this episode was that in between finding that cache and having my log deleted, we found our 500th cache. By him deleting the log, my 500th cache is officially another Locationless rather than something unique. I would hate to have had that happen to my 1000th find.
    "Honey, we're not normal people. We're the Griswolds. "

I think we've all been guilty of the "TFTC" types of logs. Lately, we've been trying to get better at saying something more in our logs. Having a partner who writes the logs in GSAK as we're heading to the next find certainly helps.

Cookie cutter logs are another of the many caching related things we've learned to ignore as we spend more time caching. With only guidelines and not rules, people are going to play the game the way that they enjoy. For some "TFTC" is all they're ever going to do. On the other hand, if you've ever had the pleasure of reading some of ninjaguy's logs, this is what everyone should strive for. He makes the log for the most mundane park and grab worth reading and usually it's quite amusing. For those of you who don't live in NorthWest Akansas, check out some of his logs for caches around the Fayetteville area.

As for deleting logs, if you read the groundspeak forums, you know that over the past 9 months or so, there is a new type of cache gaining popularity. It's called an ALR cache (Additional Logging Requirement). They're supposed to be listed under the "OTHER" cache type (the one usually used for puzzle caches), and lengthy logs COULD be one of the ALR requirements. In a situation like this, I would think the cache owner would be completely justified in deleting a log. He made it known right up front this was a requirement and the cache type was proper for what he wanted.

HikerRon Guest
    guilty as charged. after big number days i cant even remember half the caches i found. copy and paste is my friend since i cant type. if i remember anything about the cache, i'll have a regular log. nothing lengthy from me unless it was exceptional in some way. but that's just me...
    as for deleting logs, i do not delete a cacher's log, if they found the cache and signed the log.

flannelman Guest
    I generaly try to leave a good log. Something I'd like to read if it were one of my caches. Even for the lamest PNG cache I can usually find something to comment on even if it has nothing to do with the cache. I usually have a notebook to keep track of my caching adventures but I think I'm going to start using my microcassette recorder to take voice notes on caches. I think that will be faster than writing down notes about the cache.

I usually just skim over the copy/paste logs on my caches and not give them another thought. The good loggers out there, and you know who you are, will often recieve an e-mail from me following up on the cache.

Lauri Guest
    flannelman's strategy is mine. Even for PNG's I try to at least say why I was in the area, what the weather was like, or something. I'm also not much of a powercacher (yet anyway haha) so I don't do a ton in one day or weekend.

And yeah, TFTC type logs on my caches, I just delete the email and move on -- glad at least that someone was out keeping the game alive in Hot Springs (where all my caches are so far). However, I do immensely enjoy the longer logs -- especially by many of you. Being newer to the sport and hiding caches, if I get a good, appreciative log by folks like Team Panda or Cachemates -- well I feel like the geocaching gods of Arkansas have smiled on me! </gushing>

I would like to thank everyone who has posted on this thread. I am sure that I will get good logs from you . I have gotten quite a bit out of everyones post and that is what this is all about. I think I will start putting this on my cahes this to encourage everyone to write better logs.:

"Writing a good log will not make you a better cacher, but it might give you more respect from other cachers"

I still hate copy and pasted logs
    A find is a find, and I shall turn the other cheek and try to be a better cacher and a better writer of logs myself. I do have a few Ideas that I got from this and I may put them into effect very soon.
    I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world.
    Thomas A. Edison

HercMaster Guest

letters from those who care

This topic reminded me of letters I would sometimes get from girlfriends while I was younger. You remember - those heady days when we would fall so deeply in love with someone (or something) that we absolutely thought we would die if we lost that person or that thing.

If the letter was lengthy, it would be bliss, I thought I was in heaven.

If the letter arrived perfumed, I would almost swoon! I would treasure THAT letter and go back and read it (and enjoy the sweet scent of it) again and again and again.

But if it was just a postcard, with only a few words jotted on it, you know what?

I would still treasure it. Because it, just like the more lengthy or fragrant communiques I sometimes received, still told me two things:

1) the author cared enough about something to write, and

2) the author cared not just about "something", but about *me*

Long or short, sweet or dry, it was still a pleasure to receive them.