Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rehash old subject.

Rehash old subject.

Being a cacher that tries very hard to write a something for most of the caches I have found. Is it wrong of me wanting to put in my description that I will delete a “copy and pasted” log. I have noticed this more since I have gotten out more caches. I have caches that I don’t mind a simple log, but on some caches I expect more than “easy find of spotted it right away” when it may have taken you 10 minutes to locate it. I know there are a lot more caches now, than when I found my first cache. I feel that is no reason to rob the cache owner of the payment deserving of the cache you found. When you find 50 in a day and the are mostly p-n-g’s I don’t expect much and I am guilty of writing a generic log when I can’t remember anything about the cache. I don’t copy and paste!
    My Question to all is:
    Do I have the right to delete any log as the cache owner, Should I warn an unsuspecting cacher of this in my description? Or send them a e-mail asking to edit their log?

I know this is an old subject, but it hasn’t gone away and I just want new cachers to be aware of caching edicate. Please let me know your opinion.

AR-HICK
    I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world.
    Thomas A. Edison

Logs

Well, since there are all sorts of cachers, you might expect the occasional power cacher or lazy cacher who will paste the same message for those he/she has found that day. Noticed that yesterday when logging finds Rich and I had down 103/215 above Harmony. There are just folks that do this or just state they found the cache. I, as you, am not particularily happy about the behavior, but it will continue. I agree if you expect a more detailed log, it may be worth suggesting this on the cache page. You can then ask for an edit or delete it if desirous. Frustrating behavior.

December 10 "LazyCacher"
    #15 of 50. TNLNSL TFTC

I've read so many of those. We always try to write something about our experience while hunting even the park and grabs. I've had easy hunts turn into mini adventures. I've even, in extreme cases, actually written a rough draft before logging the find or finds.

Sharing that experience with the cache owner is what ties the community together. It's their reward for taking the time and going to the effort to place a cache to be found. It also lets other cachers know of any problems that need to be avoided while hunting a cache and also good points about the cache.

There is a great article at Geocacher U that is great for helping cachers in writing better logs. If all else fails make something up. Check out my log for GC1614Z.

I think most cachers would agree with deleting pasted logs. Make a note on your cache page stating something to that effect. Make it something fun with the longest log, funniest, etc. Getting credit like a FTF would. I have a cache I'm working on now that will require a minimum of so many words in the found it log in order to claim the cache.

nonnipoppy Guest
    First of all I feel your pain about not getting good logs. On every cache page we have we state:
    "The only payment a cache owner receives is the log that you write on the cache page. We took the time to place the cache so please take the time to tell us about your experience."

We ourselves are guilty of short logs when "power caching" and that activity may be the culprit. Last Friday poppy and rkl snuck off to snag a few caches. We drove to Maumelle then worked our way back to Morrillton and eventually had to leave so that we could be at home for a social engagement nonni had scheduled. nonnipoppy found 41 caches, the next day when logging them an old muddled mind coupled with no typing skills made us created logs that were far to short and less than enjoyable to read. Perhaps we need to rethink our caching.

To answer your question YES you own the cache and have the right to delete any and all logs that you choose to, however; I can not see many positive outcomes from this action. It's just going to anger the finder and then some will retaliate. And then there is a new problem.

We decided to look past those cut and paste logs and enjoy the ones that truly tell a story. Sometimes we have to remind ourselves to step back, take a deep breath, and remember that this is still just a game and everyone plays differently.

Having said all that we had a great time seeking your caches....poppy

It is a sticky situation about deleting logs just because it says "Thanks for the easy PNG. SL" If I see the cache when I get out of my car, there is just not much I can say.
    I agree with one of the above posters that someone might get mad if you delete it. I have every cache I have found in a notebook(s) but very few have notes "found in tree" "magnet on sign", but the ones that I do write down "birdhouse hanging from fishing line" "bark glued to bison" "hole in bottom of rock" are the ones that I praise the cache owner for their neat idea. I remember 99% of the finds, if you remind me of the surroundings.
    It is your call, but don't get mad if some one gets mad at you for deleting their log.
    What people write or don't write on my hides don't break my heart when I read them, but I do admit I enjoy the "wordy" ones! LOL

Q Guest
    Is their count altered when a log is deleted? I would never notice a missing post. I only check back on certain caches with a agenda in mind... curious where a TB went or something.

I have seen some debate on this subject in the past and I haven't weighed in too much.

I love geocaching and love that I can play it my way while everyone else plays it their way.

I have found and hidden caches. I enjoy reading logs and even enjoy reading logs posted by others. I really enjoy reading what others say about my hides and it is my reward for placing the cache.

My wife and daughter however leave it to me to log their finds on GC.com for them. I log their finds after logging my own and find it hard to put too many words into their mouth or into their logs for them. I am guilty of doing some cutting and pasting to log their finds and in the logs I refer the reader to my logs for more details.

We have chosen to have separate accounts on GC.com to keep up with our individuals finds because we do always all go caching together at the same time.

I believe that a deleted log will also take the find away from the cacher's total finds. In a way they will not be rewarded for the find but penalized for not being wordy or having unique logs for each find.

I don't think anything I have to say will end the debate

nonnipoppy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Q
    Is their count altered when a log is deleted? I would never notice a missing post. I only check back on certain caches with a agenda in mind... curious where a TB went or something.
    Yes a find will be deducted and the cacher will get a notification of the deletion.

Like others who have posted a reply here, I enjoy receiving a good log from a finder of one of my caches. But, like everyone else, I have received those short logs which a waste of electrons. I have sent nasty emails out in the past, but I have never deleted a log. If someone found it, they deserve the smiley, no matter how thoughtless they are.

A wise bearded man from Cacheville once told me about TBs, "Once you set them loose, forget them!" Bear with me, but I believe this logic applies to caches as well. Some will get muggled. And some will get inconsiderate logs. But life is too short to worry about such things. I have chosen to look past these slights and enjoy the logs of those who actually took time to express their thoughts, experiences, and gratitude. One of those logs is worth 10 logs of "TNLNSL. TFTC". And the writer of a good log is my friend forever, even if we have never met. Words are powerful and say a lot about the author. And the lack of words often speaks volumes. -- ORR
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen

Dentful1 Guest
    Forgive me for I have sinned. I will admit to being one of those who from time to time to write short logs. BUT, I only had a limited amount of time to write those because I did not own a computer at the time, had to go to dads and use his. I now have a computer as of a couple of weeks ago and will definitely try my hardest to get back to writing meaningful logs.