Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Rehash old subject.

Quote Originally Posted by 4wheeling-1
    I have not had a lot of input on this or any thread but this is the one that has got my goat, a cacher that goes by the name "David vs Goliath" logged 4 of my caches "SL",...
    Last week I had most of my caches logged by this same cacher (David Vs Goliath). They logged every single find "SL". I looked at their profile and that is they way they log all caches. In fact they logged a "Will Attend" to our event in January. They only thing written on their "Will Attend" was "1", which I took as meaning their would be one in their party attending.

I was going to stay out of this thread until this part was mentioned.

It does my heart well when people use more than a few words to log my caches online, but I have always gone by the thought that everyone plays the game their own way. I don't feel that a 1000 word or 1 word online log should be evidence of being able to claim a "Found it". If someone finds the cache they should be able to claim a find. I feel the only exception to this is as mentioned before "Additional Logging Requirements".

I also know some cachers that are not the best at writing and don't know how to really put some of their thoughts into words.

This thread has inspired me to place a cache possibly...

I would be curious to know when you check your caches if they are on the logs there, or not, like on 4 wheeling 1's.

I was a little mad when I saw the "SL" log on my caches. I sent "David vs Goliath" an email about writing logs telling of their adventures hunt caches.
    No response from them and it has been almost 24 hours.

Then I checked my caches they supposedly found, NO signature.
    I will be contacting other cacher owners asking them to check their caches for signatures and asking them to delete them if the have not signed the log sheet.
    Don't be surprised when you see a email from me.

If you have received a log from them please check your cache and delete their finds from your caches if you can not find a signature on them. They are not playing the game correctly and this is the only way I know teaching them a lesson. I never seen this coming when I restarted this thread. I may even post on the GC fourms later this week if I don't hear from the culprit.

I don't like this but I am kinda upset over the deal.
    I just drove a 1000 miles this weekend visiting the Parkcache series and I assure you that I was everywhere I will log. I signed each log with pride of being there and finding the cache. No copy and paste from me on any of them, they deserve so much more than I can express in words in my logs.

AMEN, 4Wheeling-1 you are preaching to the choir in Conway County.
    I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world.
    Thomas A. Edison

AMEN Hick,, I noticed on their count they had 640 somthing finds Sat but they are down to 550 now, hmmm guess some more are finding out what is going on...

Hope you had a good trip, glad I didn't have to bother you anymore on Sat. I put my glasses on and was able to find a few more caches all by myself, uhh well, with Deb's help of course

paris1time had the following to say,
    It does my heart well when people use more than a few words to log my caches online, but I have always gone by the thought that everyone plays the game their own way. I don't feel that a 1000 word or 1 word online log should be evidence of being able to claim a "Found it". If someone finds the cache they should be able to claim a find. I feel the only exception to this is as mentioned before "Additional Logging Requirements".

I agree with paris1time, I am playing the game my own way and I am implementing "Additional Logging Requirements". It seems like most of the people that log a "SL" or copy-paste their logs don't have many, IF ANY, hides. I suppose I have been spoiled by some REAL GEOCACHERS that do appreciate someone hiding a cache, here's the sad part, we're actually having this conversation, the REAL GEOCACHERS I have dealt with would never even think of logging a "SL". Finding a cache is only a small part of the game, the other cachers is what makes this sport awesome, it's not that I demand a long drawn out log, no one does, but the easiest, lamest, most meaningless cache deserves more than "SL". [/quote]

I posted a notice about this cacher over in the NWA Cachers forums. I checked their profile and they were claiming finds on archived caches in California. Apparently they seek out areas that they believe they can get away with it. It's obviously the sock puppet account of another geocacher doing this for whatever reason. They should know that when you play that way in Arkansas it won't work. I also think groundspeak should be notified so this member can be banned.

I have to applaud AR-HICK and 4wheelin-1 for their initiative on this. You can discuss back and forth forever about logs and quality of caches. When it gets right down to it, it's just plain impolite to not write something. I'm going to follow 4wheelin-1's lead and post something about logs on all our caches. If enough cachers do the same I think there will be a positive influence on new geocachers. It will at least do away with the "monkey see, monkey do" that seems to be rampant.

[edited for speeling. LOL]

I am going to be checking on my caches to see if "David Vs. Goliath" actually signed any of the log sheets for my caches. I wonder if there is suppose to be some type of meaning behind their geocaching nickname.

I do try my best to write a good online log. I recently ran "My Finds" on a stat generator and noticed that it put my average number of words used for an online log at 94.6 words. I like to think that I do a good job of having something to say even about a PNG.

I have read many of the logs of the cachers who have posted in this thread and I often enjoy reading them. It is cachers like you that will continue to motivate me to hide caches.

I said earlier everyone plays the game their own way, but I also believe the cache hider has a right to place "Additional Logging Requirements" on their caches. I think if someone finds it and does not complete the additional logging requirements as listed in the cache listing the cache owner has a right to delete the log. The cacher should never go looking for that cache unless they plan on living up to the logging requirements.

I guess I'll throw some thoughts out there on the David vs. Goliath thing. I saw where they posted a SL, but I know the log is full on this particular cache. I guess I'll go replace the log and if there name is nowhere to be seen, I'll delete their entry.

I wonder if we can have Chuck Walla pull some strings and find out how legit this particular account is. I'm sure groundspeak can find some reason to ban and delete the account. Hopefully they have a way to remove every entry that this particular user has made from the database, which would save us all from deleting their find.

As far as log entry's, I really do think it depends on the particular cache and it's location. We usually try to write a bit more in the physical log about how our day is going, the weather, wildlife, traffic, etc. We love reading others entry on the physical log. I have never had too big of a problem with people just typing SL or TFTC on the online log, they usually make a sentence at least. I'm guessing if you would like a more detailed log, request that in both your physical log info page and your online summary. This will hopefully get their attention enough to remember and type something unique about their trip/find. The better the cache/find adventure/location, the better the log quality usually with us. Some of our caches require a bit of effort to get to, which hopefully is the reason we've had good luck with logs.

On another note. What are "Logging historical geocache travel miles" I've seen these posted on a few of my caches by Captain Atom?

Quote Originally Posted by jclaudii
    On another note. What are "Logging historical geocache travel miles" I've seen these posted on a few of my caches by Captain Atom?
    It looks as though he is using a travel bug to keep track of all the miles that he's traveled while geocaching. Just dipping it in caches he has already visited. Pretty neat idea. You should see how many miles he's gone also. WOW! Here's the link to Captain Atom's Geo-mileage.

AR-Hick has just e-mailed us about the "David and Goliath" cacher that has signed the logs with "SL". We have at least one logged this way, so we will head out to the cache and check to see if it has been physically signed. I just don't understand the motivation of someone doing this! Thanks to Hick for the heads up.
    We have tried from day one to always write something of meaning on the logs. We apologize if we have let anyone down. It is fun to read people's logs when they have found your cache. We so appreciate every single hidden cache that we have had the pleasure of finding. After living in AR so 17 years, caching has introduced us to areas we would never have located any other way. We appreciate all the creativity, work, and committment to keeping caches active. Thank you to all who have a cache hidden. This thread has been a good reminder to all of us as to how much the logs mean to the owner. We pledge to always try and write decent logs when we log a find. Happy Caching, Racquetball Girl